The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 08:43 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New to Trout fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Hey MBWCC isnt there a fly shop near there too? that may be a good start it close and probally not very crowded this time of year. Thanks for the info i hope i can find the hole in the eye on the small hooks.
Jim
There are two fly shops in the area. One is White Clay Outfitters on Paper Mill Road on the northeast side of Newark (Ken & Doug). The other is A Marblehead Flyfisher on Rt. 52 north of Wilmington (Terry). Either shop and any of the owners would be happy to help you.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM

kdh199 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Aside from finding a good place to fish, I'm guessing you're biggest challenges will be getting used to dead drifting a fly instead of throwing streamers and manipulating them by stripping in line. Stripped streamers definitely still produce, and might be a good way for you to get started, but its not the most productive method by any means.

If you're on netflix, you might get some of the trout fishing videos just so you can familiarize yourself with the techniques and what not.

Regarding flies, you'll want to get some wooly buggers in size 8 or 10 and in black and olive to fish as streamers. Nymphs would be the next thing you'll want to aquire. I'd get some Hare's ears, some pheasant tails, and some Copper Johns in size 16, and in both beadhead and beadless when applicable. Bigger and smaller sizes will be applicable at times, but 16 is a safe bet for general trouting.

You'll also want to get some 9' 4x leaders and a spool of 4x and 5x tippet. With that, some indicators, and your boots and waders, you're well on your way to being prepared to catch trout.
I realize that I'm not the one that started this thread, but this helps a lot. I'm still a beginner and all of this information seems great. I have a bit of cabin fever...can't wait till this spring so I can get out there and use this info. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys, How about web browsing over at "YOUTUBE". Lots of tying video.....some of the best there is. Why buy the DVD when you can download all the videos there legally.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"