The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By kglissmeyer1
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fly Fishing In Idaho

I figured the "Coldwater Fly Fishing" board would be very appropriate for this thread. Last week we experienced our second round of week-long below zero temps resulting in many local moving waters being frozen right over.

In the face of that, a week ago this last Saturday the boys and I headed for one of our favorite winter haunts, the South Fork of the Snake River, just below Palisades dam. We were hopeful to find some open water near the dam, which there always is. Problem is, since they built a new bridge across the river just down from the dam they no longer plow out the parking area at the dam and I drove literally 10-feet too far and got stuck to the axles!

When the guys got out to "push" us out, they realized it was not just cold, but bitter cold. The temp read +8 F. But the wind was blowing at around 20 - 25 mph and the wind chill seemed off the charts. After about an hour of digging, pushing and such they finally got us unstuck. When I landed on solid ground and got out to gear up they all said in unison not to bother as it was too cold. Sigh...

We jumped in the jeep and headed back down to Swan Valley where I bought them all lunch for their efforts in getting us out of a pickle.

After lunch we tried to find open water without the wind and located some near Swan Valley. We geared up, strung up and headed for the river. After 2-1/2 hours we called it quits, what with ice clogging the river, and bergs floating down the river and no fish but one small and lowly whitefish, it was time to go home and hope to wipe this one off the books in the near future.

Here are a few pics from the outing:

It doesn't look stuck, but it is very high centered:
Click the image to open in full size.

The face masks may be a hint to how cold it was:

Geared up and ready:

An afternoon on the river:

You couldn't get a decent drift because line and leader were draped over ice balls in the river

How cold was it?:

The only wasted days are the ones we waste...

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fly Fishing In Idaho

Kelly: Your crew is definitely HARD CORE! I'm not worthy! Congrats on the effort, sorry the conditions have been so miserable. Hopefully it will warm up soon.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly what how I envisioned ice fishing. All in all, still a hoot. Thanks for posting.

Dave
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thought fishing with deep frozen bait was prohibited...Great report Kelly...hope you'll have a little warmer temp next time
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I feel like a wuss. I won't go fishing until the high is at least 50 degrees. Looks like a good way to ward off cabin fever though.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good time for a trip to Grand Targhee or Jackson. Sure is purdy out there though. milt.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Pulled that 'high center' 'trick a few winters back in my Jeep Liberty. Only my 'help' was two old dogs. On top of Mt. Ashland and blowing a bloody gale. Studded snows all around so I thought I'd go up and see the ski area (closed due to weather).

Turned around in the empty parking lot and got too close to the edge. PLOP ....

Took a hell of a long time to extricate myself .....
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Pulled that 'high center' 'trick a few winters back in my Jeep Liberty. Only my 'help' was two old dogs. On top of Mt. Ashland and blowing a bloody gale. Studded snows all around so I thought I'd go up and see the ski area (closed due to weather).

Turned around in the empty parking lot and got too close to the edge. PLOP ....

Took a hell of a long time to extricate myself .....

Ah, the joys of winter...

It was nice to have three strapping young lads along to get the job done while I waited in the warmth of the car, rolling the window down and giving direction from time-to-time

Thanks all for your responses. Watch for Part II today...or, how to wipe a bad day off the map.

Kelly
dakotakid likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Enjoyed the photos and appreciate the adventurous nature.

As much as I like to be out in the Winter, just can't see myself with a fly rod in those conditions. Wind is the problem for me. I'll continue to drill my holes and sit in a shanty until more favorable fly fishing conditions arrive in our area.