The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 9ft 5w rod small stream spey fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
just use a wt 5wt. wf line you'll be fine. If you can't cast that then you need to practice more. those streams are not that wide. I nymph with a wf line all the time here on pine.
Thanks for the info!!

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
What weight rod?
5 weight 9 foot

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
just use a wt 5wt. wf line you'll be fine. If you can't cast that then you need to practice more. those streams are not that wide. I nymph with a wf line all the time here on pine.
What density line--float,sink tip or sink line??

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Thanks everybody, I'm close to getting out there from about 2 years ago!!

I'm going to go with a 5w Wf line, and work on my roll cast, and the D-loop

Good Day
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

Scandi lines will work well to roll cast, Skagit lines are another story due to the short head length/ heavy grain weight.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the scandi and skagit stuff. Those are for two hand rods. For a 9ft. 5 wt, you can do it most likely with the line you already have on it. There has in the past been a whole lot of people saying you need to overline by three weights to do it, but that is a complete crock. I did a video where I spey cast underlined by one weight. Four weights less than some say you need to do it. Try it with the line you have.

The trick to doing it is finding where on the line the rod loads best. If you have a two tone line it's probably right where the color change is right at the tip of the rod. You probably don't want to use a real short head line but you still can make it work. If you don't have a two color line, get the whole head out of the rod and without shooting line, keep adjusting till you hit the sweet spot and then mark where that is on the line where the tip of the rod is.

Go on you tube and look around at single hand spey casting. Actually just spey casting in general. You can learn a lot just by watching it on you tube.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 10ft 7wt single hand rod that I use for steelhead lined with 7wt Rio Indicator line. I have no problems roll casting, traditional single hand or single hand spey casting, largely in part due to the long head. Rio says it's a 400 grain head in 7wt. I throw a range of flies with this setup--single nymphs to double nymph indy to streamers. No problems.

The 5wt line is rated at 300 grains in the head and might be just what you're looking for.

I do agree with DD's post, you can and should be able to single hand spey cast with the line you've already got on it. More important, you should be able to roll cast the line. Kind of a simplistic thought, but what's the condition of your current line that's giving you problems? Maybe a good cleaning is due?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Wulff Ambush was designed exactly for this purpose, spey casts on single handed rods.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

If Wulf ambush is the line you choose I would underline it a full line weight 200 grains is to much for a single hand 5 wt.
wt bash likes this.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: 9ft 5w rod small stream spey fly line?

I saw a video the other day about doing spey casts with a regular weight-forward line on a single handed rod. I'll see if I can track it down on YouTube again. It was actually pretty cool and could come in handy on those small streams with banks covered in willows.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

All's you really have to do is exaggerate the same motions you would use during a basic roll cast and add haul. Yesterday day I got out for a few hours chasing unicorns with a 7'4" 6wt and could easily cover the same water I was with a 11' switch rod. I was fishing a 444 DT, its all a matter of figuring out what length of line to have out. When you are familiar with your rod's action you match the length of line out to it and its easy peesy japaneesy.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road

So yesterday was the first day out after a 2 year layoff and things were a struggle, I'm in the middle of the stream casting up stream and my brand new yonk midge gets stuck, the stream is fast, I'm not use to it, I tried to recover it, but couldn't, 15 minute interval goes by to put a new midge on and back out casting, I didn't even have 10 cast to my new set up, time went by and my most of the casting is side arm, absolutely no over hand casting, I'm loving the action of the rod, my mind is stuck on the fly line and presentation, I start to see water patterns, I'm looking for fish rising any movement (nothing) I see areas of slow pools but its 40 ft away, I have to cast over fast water to hit the honey hole, over hand not going work, I tried roll casting but poor presentation, there's were my mind races on what style of fly line is on this new rod and reel, thanks to wt bash and diver Dan I'm going to purchase DT long belly and try spey casting some more,

So my next decision is when I go to purchase my new line so I stay with a even 5wt, underline, or over line its going to DT long belly.

Any day is a good day for fishing...