The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road
Default 9ft 5w rod small stream spey fly line?

Anybody use spey fly line to roll cast in smaller streams, not meadow streams, I'm talking yellow breeches, Allenberry, Spring run, if not what leader should I use

Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: 9ft 5w rod small stream spey fly line?

Any line with a longer belly should work perfect, well any line would work perfect really...

I have utilized spey casts with my Thomas & Thomas NS5 fly rod and a 5 wt Cortland BOSS, absolutely outstanding line for that application.

If most of your casts are less than 30' you COULD over-line it by one weight, but I don't think you will need to. I wouldn't...

FYI, spey casts can be utilized with basically any fly line...

If you want to huck streamers and/or tips, I would go with an Airflo 40+ or an SA Textured Mag Taper

Last edited by kwb; 01-31-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Wulff Triangle Taper will do it just fine but so will a good old standard Double Taper. Add a haul and you can shoot a cress bug or bugger/sculpin straight across Breeches.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:33 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

should be able to just roll cast across those streams with a trout line.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road

I agree roll casting will work, I'm nymph fishing, would it make sense to put a 9wt line on (I don't think so) but I want somebody to tell me.

Also sink tip or sink line?? And st DT or triangle
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

just use a wt 5wt. wf line you'll be fine. If you can't cast that then you need to practice more. those streams are not that wide. I nymph with a wf line all the time here on pine.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 PM

ramset is on a distinguished road

If your looking to single hand spey to keep your fly in the drink longer, and are fishing smaller streams (i'm not familiar w/ the ones you mentioned), you cant beat a triangle or DT line. WF lines are pretty much for overhead casting only. Sure- you can spey cast them, butthe advantages of the other two far outweigh WF lines in small streams. DT and tri's SH spey much better, and are easier to mend, and are easier to present w/ a softer landing. Depending on the action of your 5wt, an Ambush 5wt (215 grains I think) will sling pretty much anything out there. When you get the hang of it, you'll be able to shoot up to 25-30 of the running line (if need be). I use both, and love them. These lines really shine w/ the spey cast. I only use WF lines from the drift boat, or stillwater stuff.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

What weight rod?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Another line along the lines of what KWB had suggested is the Wulff Long Belly line, its essentially like a long belly spey line but designed for single hand rods. I WOULD NOT use a 9wt line on your 5wt!
mrfzx likes this.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Wulff Triangle Taper will do it just fine but so will a good old standard Double Taper. Add a haul and you can shoot a cress bug or bugger/sculpin straight across Breeches.
I agree. With a single handed 5 wt there's no specific need for a spey line. It's really just a variation of a long-belly WF. It would work fine, but I don't think it would offer any noticeable advantage over any other long-belly WF line or a DT line.

More generally, any long-belly WF or DT will give you better control than a standard WF for roll casting and line mending at distances beyond the length where a standard WF head begins to taper down to the running line. If you're not working beyond the head length of a WF, it would depend on the front taper designs of the particular lines you are comparing, but you probably wouldn't notice much difference at all.