The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fishing Midge Nymphs.... Need some help!

Fishing the Midge: Ed Koch, Rich Shires, Norm Shires: 0011557026146: Amazon.com: Books Fishing the Midge: Ed Koch, Rich Shires, Norm Shires: 0011557026146: Amazon.com: Books
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

These are also two good source books on FF with Midges in streams, rivers and still waters:

Modern Midges: Tying and Fishing the World's Most Effective Patterns: Jerry Hubka, Rick Takahashi: 9781934753002: Amazon.com: Books Modern Midges: Tying and Fishing the World's Most Effective Patterns: Jerry Hubka, Rick Takahashi: 9781934753002: Amazon.com: Books

Tying & Fishing Tailwater Flies: 500 Step-by-Step Photos for 24 Proven Patterns: Pat Dorsey: 9780811707220: Amazon.com: Books Tying & Fishing Tailwater Flies: 500 Step-by-Step Photos for 24 Proven Patterns: Pat Dorsey: 9780811707220: Amazon.com: Books

I would also take to heart, Kelly G's suggestions, for fishing with Midges...he knows a thing or two about doing just that...

PT/TB
kglissmeyer1 likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Not the same book. I sent you pm to let you know what postage will probably be.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Yep this is the book
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I've always had trouble fishing midge nymphs unless I could spot the fish, as Only Adipose said these fish aren't moving so knowing exactly where its sitting is a big bonus. If you can't spot them then you really have to pound a spot to cover all the water. Sometimes a small zebra midge trailed behind a heavy bugger works pretty good. The bugger gets them looking and then they see a little morsel behind it they know isn't going to run away. If you can spot the fish then I fish one pattern 8" below the smallest shot that will get me in the fishes zone and no indicator and just watch the fish when it moves or flashes its trap open set the hook! Also just because its a food source that's always around doesn't always mean that's what they want to eat. This time of year in your area as well as mine the early black stones are around. Look for shucks along the banks and high rocks and log jams. This time of year I love to fish a #16 or even an 18 black softhackle swung in tight to the bank. I'm sure you know this but fishing Spring Creek means fishing close to the bank first, especially when the little black stoneflies are around. Its way mre fun than dead drifting the tiny stuff and the takes can be pretty exciting even in the cold water.
This post perfectly describes winter spring creek fishing in MN as well. Great post!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 AM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

last winter my best friend and i were fishing norh ga mtns, i would fish a hole or run, to the point of calling it beating a spot, and had no luck. once i moved on my friend moved to the same spot and would catch a few. we were using the same set up and same flies. it requires being in the right spot with the right presentation, and alot of times patience. there is some great insight on this thread
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Weight would be my guess too. Even with heavier nymphs I'm often surprised how much I can underestimate the depth of the fly. Most of the time if I'm not ticking bottom I'm not deep enough. It's hard to know for sure though, there are a lot of factors. Accepting the book offer might be a good idea.
I have had a guy tell me for nymphs, if you are not losing flies you are not deep enough lol it is kind of true for the areas I fish though.