The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Fishing Midge Nymphs.... Need some help!

Okay so I realize that midges are a year round food source for all types of trout... However I enjoy fishing streamers alot so the very small nymphs make me skeptical. Never the less I have given midges (size 18-20) a chance and each time I cannot catch a fish or even get a strike . I have two midges in tandem hanging under a thingamabobber.

I fish on streams not lakes

Does anyone have any advise for me I really want to become proficient at midge fishing and dont want to give up on the stuff please help!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Midge Nymphs.... Need some help!

I have a great book I could lend you. It is by Ed Koch, as long as you don't mond mailing it back when you are done I could send it to you.
osok likes this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

add split shot so the nymph swims just above the bottom, get it DOWN.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM

That would be great actually! Ill Pm you with my address

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Does it cost alot more to send something into Canada?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Weight would be my guess too. Even with heavier nymphs I'm often surprised how much I can underestimate the depth of the fly. Most of the time if I'm not ticking bottom I'm not deep enough. It's hard to know for sure though, there are a lot of factors. Accepting the book offer might be a good idea.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

When I fish midges under the surface, I don't fish them much different than I do any other nymph. When flies aren't working for me, I keep rotating through and find one that does work. This of course assuming I've got enough shot and the right depth for the indy. You might try some of the indicator putty from Airflo if you can find it and skip the indicator, or try a more subdued color. My favorites are white or glow in the dark.

A few questions to ask:

How much tippet do you have between the two flies?

How much shot are you using and where is the placement of the shot? Are you sure you're hitting bottom?

How long is your leader?

If you switched to other nymphs are you having any luck and do you know that you're in a location that holds fish?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
When I fish midges under the surface, I don't fish them much different than I do any other nymph. When flies aren't working for me, I keep rotating through and find one that does work. This of course assuming I've got enough shot and the right depth for the indy. You might try some of the indicator putty from Airflo if you can find it and skip the indicator, or try a more subdued color. My favorites are white or glow in the dark.

A few questions to ask:

How much tippet do you have between the two flies?

How much shot are you using and where is the placement of the shot? Are you sure you're hitting bottom?

How long is your leader?

If you switched to other nymphs are you having any luck and do you know that you're in a location that holds fish?
1) about 2 feet of tippet between the flies
2) not sure the weight or # of the shot. I usually use tungsten heads on the flies but the shot was above the highest fly and I was catching bottom
3) the leader was about 12-13 foot didnt measure it out
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

During winter I use a lot of midges in small creeks. Most of the time I only use a single fly rig since I am usually using my little 3wt glass rod. I set it up just like I do an indicator rig. For me, this means: Fly line > 5-6ft furled leader > indicator on end of leader > 2-3ft 6x or smaller tippet > fly. For weight, these midges have a single brass bead. I don't like the fly to be so heavy that it constantly gets snagged on the stream bottom. I like to stand downstream and cast up stream, allowing the midge/nymph to dead drift back to me. Seems to catch fish every single time I use it, and normally, a lot of them. A #18-22 red brassie type midge is what has been producing best for me this winter.

If I'm in a lake using midges, I get rid of the indicator and slowly strip it in or twitch it. Lots of strike seem to be right when I am pulling up getting ready to make another cast.

-Chase
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

keep at it.... make sure drifts are drag-less and most importantly believe that it will work! Remember you are fishing for fish that are not going to move, you are literary trying to drift it into there mouth...... it will happen and you will be surprised how effective it is.
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 PM

I will continue my work with ze midge... What is a good pattern? Im partial to the brassie