The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fishing In Idaho - Part II Or, How To Wipe A Bad Day Off The Map

As promised, here is the post from this past weekend's outing. Our goal as fly anglers is to never let a bad day stay in memory for long (although I don't think you can really call any day out on the water as bad, but some are worse than others...). Therefore, we hit the water again a week after our unproductive outing from the week before.

We returned to the South Fork of the Snake and, instead of driving ten feet too far, I stopped twenty-feet sooner! It was interesting to see that others had tried what we had done the week before and there on the snow were four fir tree boughs, probably the very same one's we had used the week before. We were left to believe that someone decided they could do what we had failed at and had achieved the same results.

The temps were up to around +20 F. Still too cold for me, but the wind wasn't blowing so we gave it a shot. Whereas the week before there was only one hearty bank angler in sight, this week there were five other vehicles and about ten anglers fishing from shore with bait and lures, no other fly anglers. One brave soul had brought his canoe and floated across to the area we were going to fish, but there was plenty of room so we waded out.

I put my youngest son, Geoff, upstream of me as far as he dared safely wade, and I fished below him at a distance where we wouldn't cross lines on our casts. I struck gold first, but it was Fool's Gold when I reeled in a fat whitefish. My next fish was a beautiful 17-inch brown. Both fish were caught on a new Mysis Shrimp pattern I tied up the night before.

Michael was on the opposite shore determined to throw streamers but was not being very successful. Geoff asked for one of the mysis flies which I tied on and he proceeded to take me and his older brother to school for the next 2-1/2 hours as he caught fish after fish about every third cast. Half were nice trout and he caught his longest fish with a 20-inch brown, as well as a very fat 19-inch rainbow as the standout fish of the day.

Michael finally switched to his nymph rig and started catching fish. By day's end he and I had caught about 10 to 12 fish each with most being whitefish, while Geoff had hooked and landed at least thirty fish with half being trout.

A great way to wipe a previous fail off the map and feel better about our angling skills, although it appears I taught the youngest a bit too well...

Here are the pics. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the mysis pattern, but I will get it done soon and post it when I can:

Click the image to open in full size.

Just hangin' with me boys:

It was nice to get out with my sons and have such a fun day. One for the books.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fishing In Idaho - Part II Or, How To Wipe A Bad Day Off The Map

Kelly: Congrats! Looks like that outing was definitely worth the effort. What type of gloves was Geoff wearing (neoprene or some sort of fleece)?

Larry

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter Fishing In Idaho - Part II Or, How To Wipe A Bad Day Off The Map

Larry, thanks. Those are neoprene, but not real tight ones. We found them at Sportsmen's Outlet.

Kelly.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly&Sons...in actionanother great report....
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Larry, thanks. Those are neoprene, but not real tight ones. We found them at Sportsmen's Outlet.

Kelly.
Kelly: Thanks!

Larry

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Great day on the water, indeed!
Thanks for sharing!

Chris
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

What a great report! Sure does look cold though!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Winter Fishing In Idaho - Part II Or, How To Wipe A Bad Day Off The Map

NO '"IF'S, AND'S OR ABOUT ITS,"

Thread of the day!
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM

donsundquist is on a distinguished road

Hi Kelly, it looks like you had a wonderful day on the water with your boys. Just looking at your pictures reminded me of fishing with my grandsons in Australia last Christmas and there upcoming trip to fish with Pa in September on Vancouver Island, Canada.

Great post Don Sundquist
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road

Dang it! Went out to the shop and brought my neos in to check them after seeing your post. They appear to have shrunk. and are tough to put on. Anything I can do to them before this weekend?
That is some chilly country over there, having grown up closer to the res I know the wind will freeze *marbles* as it is coming down the valley. Ashton, just plain cold, but beautiful country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post

Kelly.