The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM

joesacc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About tippet for Great lake steelheads

flouro carbon all the way
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

I haven't used straight floro so I can't comment on that. I really like maxima in 6lb and 8lb for most of my Ontario trib fishing. I ran out last year and I was in a panic, I couldn't find any close by, so I made an executive decision. I looked through my supply of spools and decided to try some yo-zuri hybrid I had on hand. It's a floro/nylon line, smoke/green. I have 1/4lb spools of 6, 8, and 10lb test. I wound some 6, and 8lb onto old maxima spools and headed out. If you take a look at some of the pics I have posted last year and this year you will see that I had no problem with catching big trout with my new favotite tippet material. Last year was a low water fall season(very clear water) and I managed to land my biggest steelhead and largest brown trout. All with the yo-zuri line for tippet, mostly 6lb. Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by nockhunter; 03-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

10 pound floro around here.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

5,6 and 8# Drennan like someone said before. It's the strongest stuff i've used. It is however a little larger in diameter than it's competitors.

It's used in England a lot and hard to find in the US. In Pulaski, NY I only could find it at All Seasons. Give it a try. My landing rate went way up after using this stuff.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
5,6 and 8# Drennan like someone said before. It's the strongest stuff i've used. It is however a little larger in diameter than it's competitors.

It's used in England a lot and hard to find in the US. In Pulaski, NY I only could find it at All Seasons. Give it a try. My landing rate went way up after using this stuff.

Good luck!
Thanks Flytie, Drennan better than Rio Fluoflex plus ?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

I've not really used Rio Fluoroflex in 2x-0x much for steelies. I've used it for trout fishing, but I didn't like it. Break strenth and diameters seemed ok, but it seemed to deform easily (form curls), that I couldn't get out even w/ a leader straightener.

Look up Drennan, if they can catch Carp w/ this stuff in the UK, it'll work on steelies too.

Drennan International

I've tried a bunch of stuff out there, not all, but alot. I used to get larger 200yd spools of fluoro because I blew through so much of it. I used to just chalk it up to part of the game for steelies and poor landing technique. You'll lose fish yeah, but this shouldn't be the case. If you find the right stuff, it'll increase your numbers and make you a believer.

You won't find many other fishermen with experience on this stuff, because it's so hard to find. Look up ebay and check out their website. Just make sure it's new stuff first.

I've heard good things about Maxima Chameleon and Clear (both monos) and also Frogs Hair Fluoro. Try them all and let us know which one you prefer.

Everyone has their crazy reasons for stuff. We may all be cranking out fish tales too. Who knows?

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I go up to the Salmon River a few times a year with my son and with friends -
we use Drennan 6lb and sometimes 8lb test tippet - It's expensive - I've seen it on the rack in Fat Nancy's and Whitakers - surprisingly it's cheaper at Whitakers - We've landed some large fish on this stuff - Cheers!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road

I live in OH on steelhead alley (Chagrin River). When swinging big streamers with a sink tip, I use about 24-30" of 0x or 1x tippet. When drifting indicators with buggers/nymphs, I'll use a 1x to the first fly, and 2x to the 2nd fly.

The water clarity on the Chagrin and Grand are usually stained to the point that you don't need flourocarbon and you don't need to worry about it being too thick. You may lose out on 1 or 2 fish who see the line....but you'll land many more with heavier gear.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

X2 on what mdogs said...flouro in 1x & 2x for the dropper and 0x when swinging, even in low clear water.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Was seeing a lot of low and clear, so I have used 5x tippet on a number of occasions, with flies as small as sz 18. HOWEVER, since my trip out to the West Coast I have been testing heavier tippets. I use fluorocarbon almost exclusively and have used Rio, Orvis, and Seaguar. I like Seaguar for both the quality AND the size of the spools. I want to test TroutHunter due to how well its tested but have yet to order any.

Ben, keep me posted when you're headed this way so we can meet up and get on the stream together, whether its the Salmon River or otherwise!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...