The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Highest value #4

Casey mentioned his Allen 'ATS', don't have the ATS as of yet, but did cast one at The Wasatch Expo last Spring and plan on getting one this year at the same show, great rod, medium action with plenty of reserve power for longer cast if needed. The price point is mighty nice too.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/ats-rod-series/
caseywise likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM

sean_k is on a distinguished road

Its hard to go wrong with the Allen trout series reels, they look great, dependable and Allen stands behind their gear. As for a Rod, Wait until your in Montana, you may find out that the 5wt will cover most of your trout needs from nympthing to drys and want either a 2/3wt for small streams or a 7wt for chunkin meat to big browns.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Highest value #4

I'd say wait it out and see if you really need a 4 wt. Like others have said, if you already have a 5 wt, then a 2/3 wt for small streams would have you pretty well covered. Unless of course you're like most of us and just want to keep buying more rods for the collection...
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

A Sage SLT is the best 9 ft. 4 wt. that I have ever fished for dry,s.I have owned other wt. in SLT but the 4 wt is the cats memow. For trout.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Highest value #4 How about TFO Finesse 4 wt. or BVK 3 wt.

Has anyone tried the TFO Finesse in 4 wt.? or the TFO BVK in 8' 3 wt? Would these be good choices. I understand the BVK can be extended to a 10 ft using a conversion kit costing about $100 dollars. Than would give the option of a shorter or longer rod for Montana waters.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocast View Post
Has anyone tried the TFO Finesse in 4 wt.? or the TFO BVK in 8' 3 wt? Would these be good choices. I understand the BVK can be extended to a 10 ft using a conversion kit costing about $100 dollars. Than would give the option of a shorter or longer rod for Montana waters.
Which length? I have the 7' 9" Finesse in a 4 weight and I am rather fond of it. It is a delightful rod for fishing small streams. I wouldn't call it an all-purpose rod, though.

In the Yellowstone Angler 4 weight shootout last year, George Anderson didn't like the 8' 9" Finesse 4 wt very much.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Which length? I have the 7' 9" Finesse in a 4 weight and I am rather fond of it. It is a delightful rod for fishing small streams. I wouldn't call it an all-purpose rod, though.

In the Yellowstone Angler 4 weight shootout last year, George Anderson didn't like the 8' 9" Finesse 4 wt very much.
If I recall correctly, George Anderson said it was heavy in the swing weight category. Is the 7'9" of yours swing heavy? It sounds as if it isn't, if it is delightlful for fishing small streams. Are the fit and finish good?

Last edited by bocast; 02-24-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Closeout Echo Carbon or Redington CT probably can't be beat for the money + warranty.

Echo Carbon 4-Piece Fly Rods in 3, 4, 5, or 6 Weights

Redington Classic Trout Fly Rod -CLOSEOUT- : Fishwest Online Fly Shop
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM

leithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura aboutleithel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieoutlaw View Post
Closeout Echo Carbon or Redington CT probably can't be beat for the money + warranty.

Echo Carbon 4-Piece Fly Rods in 3, 4, 5, or 6 Weights

Redington Classic Trout Fly Rod -CLOSEOUT- : Fishwest Online Fly Shop
Click the image to open in full size.

I love this set up for throwing dry flies. I always seem to have it with me because I don't have a ton of money invested in it.
Fred
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by leithel View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

I love this set up for throwing dry flies. I always seem to have it with me because I don't have a ton of money invested in it.
Fred
Fred, I just love that modern, clean look! Hmmmm...that 3wt 6'6" 4pc is CALLING MY NAME! Why won't they sell out already!?!