The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Highest value #4 (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/309990-highest-value-4-a.html)

hawkeyeflyfisher 02-04-2013 09:31 AM

Highest value #4

Good morning, hunting season is over :mad: cept for coyotes:thmbup: so it is back to oogling the fly fishing forum for me haha. My wife and I have cemented our decision for our late July move to Montana-Missoula it is! I am in all reality a dry fly lover, and am looking for a high quality, less than top of the line cost outfit in 4 weight. I am thinking the Lamson Konic-2 for my reel, and am trying to nail down a good rod. I am thinking something along the lines of >$200 Any suggestions? I have a 8'6" 5# that I will use for nymphing/streamers etc, and in all honest I have figured out how to present dries pretty well with it, but I just want a nice #4 that I think might be juuust enough to make a difference on some nice Montana trout :) The Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 8'9" 4# was looking pretty nice, although I think I would prefer a 9' or better. Thanks for the heads up!

imxer 02-04-2013 10:12 AM

Re: Highest value #4

Suggest you wait until you are settled in Missoula and have used your 8.5' x 5wt for awhile. It might turn out to be better suited for all around use than you expect. Rods are plentiful there & by waiting you would have the advantage of having talked with local fishermen about a new one.

Needless to say you are moving to a beautiful area with outstanding Trout fishing and many hunting opportunities. Best of luck, hope you will check in occasionally to let us know how it all works out. :)

Paul

noreaster 02-04-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher (Post 523335)
Good morning, hunting season is over :mad: cept for coyotes:thmbup: so it is back to oogling the fly fishing forum for me haha. My wife and I have cemented our decision for our late July move to Montana-Missoula it is! I am in all reality a dry fly lover, and am looking for a high quality, less than top of the line cost outfit in 4 weight. I am thinking the Lamson Konic-2 for my reel, and am trying to nail down a good rod. I am thinking something along the lines of >$200 Any suggestions? I have a 8'6" 5# that I will use for nymphing/streamers etc, and in all honest I have figured out how to present dries pretty well with it, but I just want a nice #4 that I think might be juuust enough to make a difference on some nice Montana trout :) The Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 8'9" 4# was looking pretty nice, although I think I would prefer a 9' or better. Thanks for the heads up!

I really like my St.Croix 4 wt. Imperial. It's not the best rod out there but for under 200 its worth a test drive. The Imperial line finished quite high in its price bracket and overall with a huge rod review that was recently carried out. Its fast action and I found it quite accurate. Seems to fish comparatively with rods in higher price brackets.
Good luck

moucheur2003 02-04-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreaster (Post 523345)
I really like my St.Croix 4 wt. Imperial. It's not the best rod out there but for under 200 its worth a test drive. The Imperial line finished quite high in its price bracket and overall with a huge rod review that was recently carried out. Its fast action and I found it quite accurate. Seems to fish comparatively with rods in higher price brackets.
Good luck

The Yellowstone Angler 4 weight shootout concluded that the $220 St Croix Imperial 8' 6" 4 piece was the best value 4 weight currently on the market.

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods

The Redington CT was recently discontinued (they changed the name to "Tempt"). There are plenty still available at closeout prices -- you should be able to find them under $100 at the well-known online auction site and elsewhere.

At a full retail price of $198, the Orvis Clearwater is another very nice rod, and you can't beat Orvis customer service. They offer 4 weights in both 8' 6" and 9'.

But I agree with imxer that you might as well wait till you get to Missoula and see what's what once you're there. You will have plenty of opportunities to try out rods and see what you like. You may even be able to score a bargain on a significantly higher quality used rod that somebody traded in to one of the local shops.

caberguy 02-04-2013 12:53 PM

I got my Redington CT from Fishwest for $83 shipped, looks like they still have some. Haven't cast it yet, but the preponderance of reviews are very positive.

comeonavs 02-04-2013 01:38 PM

You said you might get a Lamson Guru 2.0 for your rod, I have one of those and it is a good solid reel. I did just buy the Allen Trout II for my 4wt Z-Axis and am very impressed with the reel. It picks up line incredibly fast and the drag is very smooth.

Plus as we know looks are everything and I like the Green :p

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...6F853F9E75.jpg

rayzor 02-04-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 523423)
You said you might get a Lamson Guru 2.0 for your rod, I have one of those and it is a good solid reel. I did just buy the Allen Trout II for my 4wt Z-Axis and am very impressed with the reel. It picks up line incredibly fast and the drag is very smooth.

Plus as we know looks are everything and I like the Green :p

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...6F853F9E75.jpg

looks good:thmbup:

caseywise 02-04-2013 05:39 PM

take a look at the allen ats.
i have a 8'9" 4 weight and love it......:thmbup:
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

williamhj 02-04-2013 06:49 PM

Got an email about this deal. I've never fished it but thought it was worth passing along given the price. Could be worth contacting Justin through the forum or the Allen site and talking about the rod. It's a nice price :)

biggie_robs 02-04-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher (Post 523335)

You say that you have an 8'6" 5wt that you can cast pretty well. Use it until you have a specific reason not to. Then, cast as many 4 weights as you can get your hands on until you feel you've found the one that fixes the 5wt's "problem."

There are a number of great fly shops in the Missoula area--I would hesitate to make a new rod purchase until you've got some time on the local waters, know which rivers/creeks you're going to fish the most, and know what your current 5wt setup lacks. Then you can go into those shops, talk to the good folks that work there, test drive a few (or more) rods, and make an educated purchase that you'll feel good about for a long time.

Seriously though, the fly shops in that area are too good of a resource to pass up. You are truly lucky to be moving there.