The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Highest value #4

Good morning, hunting season is over cept for coyotes so it is back to oogling the fly fishing forum for me haha. My wife and I have cemented our decision for our late July move to Montana-Missoula it is! I am in all reality a dry fly lover, and am looking for a high quality, less than top of the line cost outfit in 4 weight. I am thinking the Lamson Konic-2 for my reel, and am trying to nail down a good rod. I am thinking something along the lines of >$200 Any suggestions? I have a 8'6" 5# that I will use for nymphing/streamers etc, and in all honest I have figured out how to present dries pretty well with it, but I just want a nice #4 that I think might be juuust enough to make a difference on some nice Montana trout The Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 8'9" 4# was looking pretty nice, although I think I would prefer a 9' or better. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Highest value #4

Suggest you wait until you are settled in Missoula and have used your 8.5' x 5wt for awhile. It might turn out to be better suited for all around use than you expect. Rods are plentiful there & by waiting you would have the advantage of having talked with local fishermen about a new one.

Needless to say you are moving to a beautiful area with outstanding Trout fishing and many hunting opportunities. Best of luck, hope you will check in occasionally to let us know how it all works out.

Paul
fysh likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
Good morning, hunting season is over cept for coyotes so it is back to oogling the fly fishing forum for me haha. My wife and I have cemented our decision for our late July move to Montana-Missoula it is! I am in all reality a dry fly lover, and am looking for a high quality, less than top of the line cost outfit in 4 weight. I am thinking the Lamson Konic-2 for my reel, and am trying to nail down a good rod. I am thinking something along the lines of >$200 Any suggestions? I have a 8'6" 5# that I will use for nymphing/streamers etc, and in all honest I have figured out how to present dries pretty well with it, but I just want a nice #4 that I think might be juuust enough to make a difference on some nice Montana trout The Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 8'9" 4# was looking pretty nice, although I think I would prefer a 9' or better. Thanks for the heads up!
I really like my St.Croix 4 wt. Imperial. It's not the best rod out there but for under 200 its worth a test drive. The Imperial line finished quite high in its price bracket and overall with a huge rod review that was recently carried out. Its fast action and I found it quite accurate. Seems to fish comparatively with rods in higher price brackets.
Good luck
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
I really like my St.Croix 4 wt. Imperial. It's not the best rod out there but for under 200 its worth a test drive. The Imperial line finished quite high in its price bracket and overall with a huge rod review that was recently carried out. Its fast action and I found it quite accurate. Seems to fish comparatively with rods in higher price brackets.
Good luck
The Yellowstone Angler 4 weight shootout concluded that the $220 St Croix Imperial 8' 6" 4 piece was the best value 4 weight currently on the market.

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods

The Redington CT was recently discontinued (they changed the name to "Tempt"). There are plenty still available at closeout prices -- you should be able to find them under $100 at the well-known online auction site and elsewhere.

At a full retail price of $198, the Orvis Clearwater is another very nice rod, and you can't beat Orvis customer service. They offer 4 weights in both 8' 6" and 9'.

But I agree with imxer that you might as well wait till you get to Missoula and see what's what once you're there. You will have plenty of opportunities to try out rods and see what you like. You may even be able to score a bargain on a significantly higher quality used rod that somebody traded in to one of the local shops.
noreaster likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I got my Redington CT from Fishwest for $83 shipped, looks like they still have some. Haven't cast it yet, but the preponderance of reviews are very positive.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

You said you might get a Lamson Guru 2.0 for your rod, I have one of those and it is a good solid reel. I did just buy the Allen Trout II for my 4wt Z-Axis and am very impressed with the reel. It picks up line incredibly fast and the drag is very smooth.

Plus as we know looks are everything and I like the Green

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
You said you might get a Lamson Guru 2.0 for your rod, I have one of those and it is a good solid reel. I did just buy the Allen Trout II for my 4wt Z-Axis and am very impressed with the reel. It picks up line incredibly fast and the drag is very smooth.

Plus as we know looks are everything and I like the Green

Click the image to open in full size.
looks good
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

take a look at the allen ats.
i have a 8'9" 4 weight and love it......
ATS Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey
fysh likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Got an email about this deal. I've never fished it but thought it was worth passing along given the price. Could be worth contacting Justin through the forum or the Allen site and talking about the rod. It's a nice price
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeflyfisher View Post
You say that you have an 8'6" 5wt that you can cast pretty well. Use it until you have a specific reason not to. Then, cast as many 4 weights as you can get your hands on until you feel you've found the one that fixes the 5wt's "problem."

There are a number of great fly shops in the Missoula area--I would hesitate to make a new rod purchase until you've got some time on the local waters, know which rivers/creeks you're going to fish the most, and know what your current 5wt setup lacks. Then you can go into those shops, talk to the good folks that work there, test drive a few (or more) rods, and make an educated purchase that you'll feel good about for a long time.

Seriously though, the fly shops in that area are too good of a resource to pass up. You are truly lucky to be moving there.
billyspey and moucheur2003 like this.

Last edited by biggie_robs; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.