The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Try San Juan Worms '
I'm guessing that this pond is pretty "fertile" ..... lawn run-off, ducks, Canada geese ?
If so, it would be prime habitat for aquatic worms. They're much more common than people realize.
Try scooping out a handful of the bottom muck and see what you get. I betya you come up with a a bunch of little wigglers.

I'm not much for the "worm and a bobber" tactic but if you find these aquatic worms that's exactly what you should try.
A marabou worm jig fly under an indicator.
Cast it out, give it a twitch, let it sit..... strip it in a little, do it again.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

orange or blonde mohair leeches. the stockers in MO ponds cant say no to them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Try these
Google Image Result for http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4527
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM

mo_farmboy is on a distinguished road

Made up a couple pink marabou worms, a few shamie worms, and a couple of white woolly buggers. I don't have class tomorrow so I'm headed to the pond as soon as i get up. It's been a while since I have eaten any trout, so I'm going to cheat a little bit and set up 1 of my fly rods with a worm so I can hopefully catch one or two while I try to get one on a fly. The limit is 4 so if I can get 2 on worms I am going strictly fly for the rest.
williamhj likes this.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I would try some sort of woolly bugger stripped close to the bank. It seems like the stockers like the shallower water around this time of year from my experience.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 AM

mo_farmboy is on a distinguished road

I was able to make it out. I didn't end up landing anything. I did hook one on a white wooly bugger bu it got off as soon as it got close enough to see. I didn't set the hook near good enough. Then watched a little guy follow the white woolly bugger and bite it but I missed it. I felt one more fish nip at it. That was in 4.5 hours of fishing. It was still fun though getting to practice my casting. Started getting good at shooting all my line out again. and probably could have been a little more accurate if I wasn't using a 9 foot straight leader of 4 lbs flouro. I also tried a few worm flies, some streamers, and a couple of nymphs. But out o about 10 people fishing there during that time only 1 caught fish and he was saying that they were not agressively taking his bait at all. And he was there about the same amount of time and had 3 fish.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm guessing that this pond is pretty "fertile" ..... lawn run-off, ducks, Canada geese ?
If so, it would be prime habitat for aquatic worms. They're much more common than people realize.
Try scooping out a handful of the bottom muck and see what you get. I betya you come up with a a bunch of little wigglers.

I'm not much for the "worm and a bobber" tactic but if you find these aquatic worms that's exactly what you should try.
A marabou worm jig fly under an indicator.
Cast it out, give it a twitch, let it sit..... strip it in a little, do it again.
Or a San Juan Worm or a beadhead Woolly Bugger.

If all else fails and you just have to get a tug on the line no matter the cost to your pride: mini-marshmallows sprayed with WD-40. I have second cousins in Montana who never fish with anything else.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You are talking about WD-40 lubricant ? Seriously ? Trout are attracted to that stuff ? Live and learn I guess,,,I'd never have thought it...

Michael
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

I am extremely surprised no one has mentioned chironomid or bloodworms. Size 10-16, under an indicator about .5-3' off the bottom. Fish eat those all year long.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though WD-40 Sprayed Marshmallows might be The Magic solution I'd be wary of using it if you want to eat The Fish.
I'd try a Longer Fluoro Leader with a Dry with A Small Nymph or a Caddis tied to it,anything's worth a try,legally methods that is.
Brian.