The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Spring fed pond with stocked trout? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/310517-spring-fed-pond-stocked-trout.html)

mo_farmboy 02-10-2013 03:06 PM

Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

There is a spring fed pond on campus that has stocked trout in it. I tried fishing it with a 5 weight using streamers and have about 8 feet of 4 lbs fluorocarbon as a leader. I didn't catch anything but there were a couple of guys that were catching several with 1 about 5 lbs. Right before I left I talked to a guy that said that he fly fishes a bunch and even teaches a couple of fly tying classes at the. He told me that it's very difficult to catch any trout in there. He started fishing with wax worms and the other guys were using minnows and dough bait. I'm just wondering if anyone would have some advice on how to catch them this time of year. Oh and you could see about 3-4 feet deep into the water. Thanks for any advice.

theboz 02-10-2013 03:18 PM

Re: Spring fed pond with stocked trout?

Stocked fish = Green Weenies and White Wooly Buggers. Fish the inlets where there is flow and more oxygen. Look in colder parts of pond ie: less sunlight and more depth . Try San Juan Worms and bead head nymphs. Fish slow'

fredaevans 02-10-2013 03:28 PM

+1 to the just above. And stand as far away from the water as you can.

Sorry, back up, you're still a tad to close ... :D

christianfishn 02-10-2013 05:31 PM

What school is it?

mo_farmboy 02-10-2013 06:01 PM

It's at Missouri Western. I tied up a few white woolly buggers and am trying to figure out what I have to make some worms. Thanks for the tips.

williamhj 02-10-2013 07:55 PM

When you say you can see 3-4 feet, how deep is the pond? Are you sight fishing or just blind casting? If it's a big pond and not very clear you might need something with movement that creates some disturbance. That or scent ;) Hopefully stripping a wooly bugger might attract them even if they can't see it.

mo_farmboy 02-10-2013 09:06 PM

I'm not sure how deep the pond is, this was my first time fishing this pond. I was just blind casting since I couldn't see any fish. I would say that the pond was about 100-130 yards across. The next time I go out to that pond I'm gonna try some white wooly buggers and might try to get some vanilla extract and see if that will help any. I tried a muddler minnow for a little while today and fished it sort of like a popper but it didn't get any strikes. From what I saw from the people that were catching fish, they were catching them about 4 feet down and about 30-40 feet from the bank.

mattneeds 02-10-2013 09:30 PM

If I were you I'd be using a double drop indicator rig if you didn't catch them on the streamers today.

theboz 02-11-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_farmboy (Post 525637)
I'm not sure how deep the pond is, this was my first time fishing this pond. I was just blind casting since I couldn't see any fish. I would say that the pond was about 100-130 yards across. The next time I go out to that pond I'm gonna try some white wooly buggers and might try to get some vanilla extract and see if that will help any. I tried a muddler minnow for a little while today and fished it sort of like a popper but it didn't get any strikes. From what I saw from the people that were catching fish, they were catching them about 4 feet down and about 30-40 feet from the bank.

Vanilla extract is good for carp not trout. Try getting your fly to where the spin guys are 40 ft out and to the depth. Stockers aren't super picky when they first are put in and even later . They become conditioned to things like pellets being thrown in the water and feeding times. Try a handful of sand and cast a green weenie where you three the sand. Again I will stress watch for the coldest and most oxygenated spots especially in a pond. A feeder stream , a spring or a deep dark spot. And once you find one if there's not alot of structure you'll find more. Look for water that's similar to where you see fish being caught.

Troutwhisperer 02-11-2013 08:39 AM

May kinda seem cheap but drop a backswimmer with a scud trailer dropped off of a strike indicator. That's a set up I use on ponds around here when teaching people to fly fish and it just kills the trout.