The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Montana in July (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/310568-montana-july.html)

mrfzx 02-11-2013 09:03 AM

Montana in July

Well, I am finnally going to do it. That is, fish west of the Mississippi (other than Alaska). Two of my buddies have asked me to accompany them to Monatana the second week of July to fish the Bitterroot, the Selway, and Lochsa rivers/streams/creeks. The problem is I have no experience with the midwestern waters. I want to start planning now.

I am pretty sure my Winston Biit 9' 5wt, and my BVK 9' 5wt will cover most everything I am likely to encounter. One is matched to a Hardy 5000DD and a Rio Gold WF5F line. The other is matched to a Marryat MR7 and a Wulff long belly WF5F, so I think I am good with rods/reels and hardware (tell me if I am wrong).

They have told me to plan on stimulators and terrestrials.....ok.....details please. I know some of you are more than familiar with this area, and I am begging for some help. What should I start tying? Patterns, sizes color variations, etc. please.

rockriver 02-11-2013 10:13 AM

Re: Montana in July

I hope this gives you some ideas. Montana Fly Fishing: Flies For Fly Fishing In Montana & Hatch Chart - FishMontana.com

dhayden 02-11-2013 02:49 PM

People closer will chime in I'm sure.. but July is usually a little early for hoppers.

But it's usually PMD season in a big way.

All the mayfly patterns Linehans mentions look good.. but, like above, that's out of my range. One thing I'd add is your favorite PMD emerger.

ETA: Hoppers always seem to work, but that's just not the peak..

jsquires 02-11-2013 02:59 PM

You choice of gear sounds fine to me.
I haven't fished the Bitteroot, but I've fished the Lochsa a couple of times and spent a week backpacking on the Selway. I found the fishing very good and not very challenging. Standard attractor patterns and small leeches on the Lochsa worked well. Had very high catch rates on the Selway with the Chernobyl Ant and/or hoppers, but I can't remember if it was July or August when we were there. Anyhow, I wouldn't get too stressed about it - it won't be rocket-science fishing.
And I hope you have a great trip.

mista_bob 02-11-2013 03:02 PM

Depending how the summer weather has been, Chernobyl Hoppers and Chernobyl Ants may be the terrestrial ticket.

dhayden 02-11-2013 03:18 PM

To follow on Bobs.. last year: Chubby Chernobyl's were the rage.. purple and red

mrfzx 02-12-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 525821)
To follow on Bobs.. last year: Chubby Chernobyl's were the rage.. purple and red

Thanks everybody! "Chubby Chernobyls" .....not familiar with that one. have to look that one up. I carry a variety of sizes/styles of PMD's evrywhere I go.....even Alaska.....although I can't say I've ever used them there.:) Of course, I am known by my friends as a pack-rat, and habitually carry/pack way more of everything than I need. I guess thats the boy scout in me!:D

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

One more thing.....

Here in the east, I often fish flies as small as and smaller than 18's. My friends are telling me to leave that tiny stuff at home? Thoughts?

fredaevans 02-12-2013 06:55 AM

Roger on the rod choices, but I'd also bring along a 3wt. I suspect you'll use that more than the 5.

dhayden 02-12-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfzx (Post 525996)
Here in the east, I often fish flies as small as and smaller than 18's. My friends are telling me to leave that tiny stuff at home? Thoughts?

It's all river dependent.. I have a box of LBBs (Little Bitty B*******) that go down to 24s.. that are required in some places here.

mrfzx 02-12-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 525999)
Roger on the rod choices, but I'd also bring along a 3wt. I suspect you'll use that more than the 5.

Okay, can-do on the 3wt. I have the BVK 3wt with the conversion pieces.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 526000)
It's all river dependent.. I have a box of LBBs (Little Bitty B*******) that go down to 24s.. that are required in some places here.

Okay, I'll bring my "midge" box too. (I call anything smaller than an 18 a midge.....I know its wrong, but I am anything but a slave to appropriateness:rolleyes:)