The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 AM

cichlasoma is on a distinguished road
Default Starting Rivers in Portland, Oregon?

Hello, Im new to fly fishing and have been practicing in local warmwater ponds, but i am trying to find a good trout river nearby(I know there are lots, but dont know which one to pick). Also, if there are certain flies that work really well for the area that would be really helpful.

Thanks guys,
Evan
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starting Rivers in Portland, Oregon?

A good place to hit up is always the local fly shops if there are any, those guys/gals can usually help you a lot and they make good friends usually to.

Last edited by stuie675; 02-13-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM

bigshayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlasoma View Post
Hello, Im new to fly fishing and have been practicing in local warmwater ponds, but i am trying to find a good trout river nearby(I know there are lots, but dont know which one to pick). Also, if there are certain flies that work really well for the area that would be really helpful.

Thanks guys,
Evan
Unfortunately there is very little as far as streams goes. I have heard some guys talk about going above the dams on the Clackamas. But as far as trout goes, there is small cutthroats on the coastal streams and your best bet is to come over and fish the crooked river.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM

gotimbers is on a distinguished road

Not many rivers open for trout right now, esp. on the west side.

Like @bigshayne says, you can indeed find small trout in the upper Clackamas. Also the Mollala R. and Salmon R. (near Mt. Hood). And countless streams in the coast range. None of these are open though.

Right now you can fish portions of the McKenzie and Middle Fork Willamette for trout, or go over to central OR for the Crooked, Metolius, Deschutes, or Fall R. I suppose of those four the Crooked could be more of what you might call a "starter" river.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Several good suggestions here, but check out the Deschutes (game regs) for 'Redside' trout fishing.