The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shenandoah National Park in Winter

Beautiful photos...one of them will be my new desktop is minute. A perfect report and a good job of keeping it under the internet radar.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I was driving back from my brother's house yesterday and stopped by the most popular stream in the Shenandoah Park to try to catch some brookies. I had the stream to myself, due to the weather (33 F, 25mph wind). The stream was as high as I've seen it in the 3 years I've fished the park. I had no clue how to find the trout as I covered a new portion of the stream. After that, I went to a well-known honey hole and found some trout on the rise to a few march browns hatching off. These brookies get so much pressure that they act like brown trout. I didn't have the right pattern, so I missed more than I caught. But I did fool 3 healthy brookies. The best was 10", a very nice trout for the park. He spit the hook and slipped out of my hand while I was digging for the camera, though. Below, I've attached photos of the other 2 trout (7" and 8") and the hole in question. This is, imho, the best hole on the best stream in the park.

Click the image to open in full size.
That dead pine tree provides great cover to the trout, but makes the hole a lot tougher to fish.
Hardyreels and milt spawn like this.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

Thank You for not giving names & directions to the stream.I spend a lot of time hiking the park streams,chasing brookies.Holes like that are hard to find & worth all the effort.Because they carry nice fish that seldom see a hook.If people want to catch good brookies ,Get off your butt & do the leg work like me & a lot of other people have done to reap the reward.You gave a GREAT report Thank You for sharing.
Dennis
Hardyreels and pa dave like this.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
That dead pine tree provides great cover to the trout, but makes the hole a lot tougher to fish.
So, I was looking through some old threads, and found that I'm not the first person to post a picture of this hole on this forum. I told ya it was a popular spot.

Older thread
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Nice report!

Spot burn ...... Snot burn! I don't see what the problem is when some post beautiful pix of beautiful trout water?

Even if someone can tell where the fish was caught ..... do you think they will go there the next day and snag all the fish and toss them on the bank?

I live in PA, and I'll never get to fish there, but the pix get me excited about fly fishing! I carry a camera and take pix of almost every fish I catch ..... and release!

So many wonderful memories of my fly fishing trips are saved for me to watch on my computer or TV whenever the mood strikes me! I've posted a lot of pix on other sites, and never a problem? only friendly people wanting to hookup with me and do some fly fishing!

You guys shouldn't blast everyone who posts a report with pix ..... or this site will go downhill fast?

only my 2 cents!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Rick,

We thrive on reports filled with pictures. Seldom have I seen anyone post a report and get blasted for it. We do encourage people not to hot spot. Maybe that's silly but it is also one of the oldest fisherman's codes I learned, you don't tell where.

Yes some people write books naming every trickle and access point for the sake of selling the books. I know they proffer them as 'helping anglers to quality experiences' but I don't tell where I fish, that is unless I am headed somewhere like the Kenai River. Some rivers are so large and full of fish that their names could be included in every article, blog, book, and forum post without really damaging them.

Small brooks are another story,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Yesterday, I headed out to the holes in the first post again this year. It was a beautiful day: 40F and no wind. No noticeable insect hatches. I only managed one trout, but he was a beauty. 11", fat and healthy. Spawn colors and a kype. The best trout I've ever caught in the Park. I wish I had remembered to bring the camera.

I never did manage to figure out the trout. I think it would have been better later in the day as it warmed up. I wish I lived closer!

On a sour note, there was a large camping party set up off the trail. They had a large bonfire, which is illegal inside the Park. In addition, when they left, they left out several pounds of cheese, hot dogs, and trail mix for the wildlife. Jacka**es like that ruin beautiful places for the rest of us. Should I contact the park rangers this morning?
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I would let the service know.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I would let the service know.
Thanks. I got in touch with the ranger for this section of the park today, and she was very appreciative for the report. It also gave me a chance to personally thank her for working to make the Shenandoah Park safe and beautiful.
shotgunfly and pa dave like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
It also gave me a chance to personally thank her for working to make the Shenandoah Park safe and beautiful.
That's cool...too often people only ever get to hear the complaints, the whining, and the crying and never a "Thank you" for doing a hard job.