The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about
Default river question

i have been doing alot of research lately about reading rivers but there is still something i am still foggy about. the chatahoochee river, ga, is a very unique ecosystem. the river itself contains sections of flat flowing water, runs over high rocks, runs around fallen trees, sand bottom and rock bottom. what i am foggy about is flat flowing water (flat meaning there is really no ripples, no current around structures. smooth flat water, perfect for skipping rocks) what is the likelihood of trout (or any fish) being found in these smooth water flows ? there are still structures under the water but the water is a smooth constant current. i understand the oxygen, food, and safety needs of fish, which is why i have had good luck for runs or deep pools, but i have noticed lately that people have been catching fish in these smooth flows, which seems to be very contrary to what i read. any light someone can shed on this? (hope i didnt confuse anyone)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: river question

If the flat waters are deep, they will hold fish. Have you ever seen fish breaking surface in these flat areas? I fish many deep dead waters. They can be very productive. Not sure about the chatahoochie though.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 AM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

Unfortunitly I have not fished these smooth currents. I keep discovering new aspects of this river every time I go out there. From what I can tell about some of these smooth flat currents is that they are mostly rock bottom, with crevices inbetween, not sure how deep. I haven't seen any fish breaking surface in those areas, solely because I've yet to fish them. Everything I've read so far about reading rivers to find fish put infasis on runs, pools, structures, and cover, but nothing about smooth flat current
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

one word....streamers.....I live for the deeper "slower" water
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Your question reminds of when I was 12 years old growing up in Southern Oregon. We did the 3 day wild and scenic raft trip down the lower rogue river. There was a stretch of river where we camped one night that the river seemed a mile wide and as calm as a lake. I just remember chucking rooster tails catching fish. The volume of fish I remember rising was insane. No one was fishing we were setting up camp then we all realized the volume of fish out there and we all stopped setting up camp and started fishing.

So yes it will hold fish by the ton. As stated above those areas make me throw streamers.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

There are two ways to find out, tug a streamer down through it or get familiar with the hatches in your area and scout out the flat spots when a hatch is most likely to come off. Chances are you'll be surprised how many fish do either hold there or move into water like that to put the feed bag on.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM

thanks for the imput ! Im pretty familiar with the hatches but i have not noticed any yet. there is a walking trail right next to the river that i walk several times a week. i usually sit by the river for a while taking in bug life and water activity. I'll be sure to start picking at these flats next time im on the water
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Expanding on what noreaster said many flat deep stretchs of rivers have huge structures that don't show up in the flow of the water like they would in shallower stretches . Good time to explore these spots is when dry spells and other factors have left the river at low levels. At these times those big structures will become apparent as riffles and seams in the river and in extreme times even show themselves. A boat with a depth finder will show these spots that are not visible to the naked eye.
Some of the best flatwater spots are below rapids and damns . These spots become productive because they are resting spots and well oxygenated from the turbulence up river . And the bait that comes through the rapids and washes down to these flat area is disoriented and easy pickings for large predators.
Sometimes the slightest little change in the flat water areas could indicate structure and a place where fish will hold . Many times shad when migrating will be stacked like cord wood in areas like this as they rest to make there migration. Same goes for any of the other andromodous species.
Keen eye and trial and error along with time on the river will help you figure these spots out.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM

joesacc is on a distinguished road

I dont fish much in waters like that