The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Favorite Leaders for Salmon? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/312740-favorite-leaders-salmon.html)

moucheur2003 03-06-2013 10:27 AM

Favorite Leaders for Salmon?

I'll be heading to Quebec again this summer for a week of Atlantic salmon fishing. The run consists of about half grilse of 4-6 lb and half salmon of 9-16 lb, with an occasional larger fish over 20 lb.

When I started out salmon fishing about 15 years ago, everyone seemed to prefer hand-tied Maxima Chameleon leaders and tippet. However, the last time I went (in 2011), my local fly shop did not carry any salmon-specific tackle, so I bought some 9' saltwater leaders and matching saltwater tippet of 8, 10, and 12 lb test. It seemed to work fine.

So I'm curious: if you have been fishing for Atlantic salmon for a while, what kind of leader and tippet do you prefer, and why? Does it make a difference?

gt05254 03-06-2013 01:05 PM

Re: Favorite Leaders for Salmon?

I still tie my own 9' leaders from Maxima Chameleon for my single handers, and am going to fool around with making them for my 2 handers as well. I currently use either Rio's steelhead and salmon leader (12 and 15 footers; 6 or 8 pound tippet) or airflo's poly leaders with 8 pound tippet attached for the two handers.

For my single hand leaders, the tippet is either 6 or 8 pound test maxima, depending on water conditions and fly sizes. I have landed 20 pounders on the 6 pound tippet.

This is all for the Miramichi system.
Gary

edit: for those gin clear Gaspe waters, seems like one of maximas clear leader materials would be a better bet. Dunno, never fished anywhere but the Miramichi system for atlantics.

moucheur2003 03-06-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt05254 (Post 533823)
I still tie my own 9' leaders from Maxima Chameleon for my single handers, and am going to fool around with making them for my 2 handers as well. I currently use either Rio's steelhead and salmon leader (12 and 15 footers; 6 or 8 pound tippet) or airflo's poly leaders with 8 pound tippet attached for the two handers.

For my single hand leaders, the tippet is either 6 or 8 pound test maxima, depending on water conditions and fly sizes. I have landed 20 pounders on the 6 pound tippet.

This is all for the Miramichi system.
Gary

edit: for those gin clear Gaspe waters, seems like one of maximas clear leader materials would be a better bet. Dunno, never fished anywhere but the Miramichi system for atlantics.

I'm going back up to the Karboskis' camp on the Whale, Gary. Not quite gin, but maybe light rum.

The thing I like about Maxima for salmon is its stiffness and stout diameter for a given breaking strength.

gt05254 03-07-2013 06:40 AM

Very cool about going back to Whale River Camps. I used to live just down the road from Stan up on the Tug Hill Plateau of NY; had many great conversations with him, but never made it to Whale River. Next lifetime, maybe.

Agree wholeheartedly about Maxima Chameleon.
Gary