The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: opening day strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbar View Post
Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes,ponds,rivers,brooks? What patterns would you use.
Fishing here (Southern Ontario/Great Lakes/Lake Huron) doesn't really have off seasons....we have closed areas where-by the upper tribs are closed...but the lakes and bigger rivers remain open....buy we also have ice seasons. Basically, if you can find open water in the lakeshore or big rivers, flies are flying.

Swung by one of my locations today.....ice lines the shore for the most part...but there are openings. AND not many ice flows drifting downstream from the lake proper.

Last year at this time at this location, i had landed 25 steels already....so i am ansy to get out NOW....dang ice.

I'm a nympher (czech and indicator) predominately though not above two-handing streamers from my switch rod now and then. In my locations, float and bait fishers run long drifts so nymphing 25' wedges (my casting radius/area) is all I need to frustrate the baiters and hook 'another' steel in front of them.

Good luck on the opening.

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Year round fishing here in Reno the Truckee is fishable all year, though a little tough when the flows get high. Opening day for me is when I can get through a thin layer of ice at one of the nearby lakes. Usually only a few of us nuts enough to put a float tube in the water right at iceout, and the ramps are not in yet for the boats so the lake is pretty much ours

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Opening day for brook trout in my region is near the end of the month of April. There are no other trout in my region.

Usually, the lakes are still frozen. Fishing for the brook trout in the small streams is rarely any good because the trout usually live in the nearby lakes and move into the streams in the fall to spawn. Only very small brook trout stay in the small streams. The best fishing is through the ice on the lakes.....if the ice is thick enough.

There are a few rivers where the fishing is decent but the brook trout are in the deepest part of the rivers. One place I fish....the trout are in about 40 to 50 feet of water. However, the landlocked salmon are in the faster shallower water.

Streams are ok for small brook trout up to 12 or 14 inches until the fall of the year. However, the fishing season ends way before the best time to fish the streams.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Opening morning get up and fish, go to work, lunch break go fishing and go home after work and fish.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

This is my first fishing video with Gopro.

Small brown, but condition here are tough. (Hight cold water)

Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Thank goodness here on the South Holston River in East Tennessee there is no opening day. It is open 12 months a year.
When I lived in NC , I would ride around and look at people's catches.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If things don't turn around soon, my opening day strategy is going to involve an ice auger with the extension on it.

No actually it got up over 40° today and it's the third day that it got above freezing. Yipee, there's hope of Spring ...... maybe.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

All the rivers by me are in decent shape for opening day but I think my earlier prediction of snow will come true . It could be 50* the day before but it never seems to fail to snow or sleet on opening day, at least over my head.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Opening day around here (NH) was January 1. You can guess what the weather was like then.

I went fishing around the 3rd week in January. The temp was supposed to be upper 30's. Instead we had 32-33 degrees and light drizzle.

Everything quickly had a coat of ice about 1/8" thick.

Walking on a flat surface was almost impossible. You were much better off wading in the stream.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I fish year round up here, but the king salmon season on the Southern Kenai peninsula streams starts at midnight on the Friday

of Memorial Day weekend. What A zoo! We get a flood of people from Anchorage and the Matsu Valley coming down to go

fishing and drinking. As much as I like fishing the Anchor River when the condition's are prime I don't mind when it's high for

the opener;I've seen quite a few fist fight's, had some real "fun" argument's, not to mention people flinging hardware

at you, fish on or not. I have been waiting until first light as the nasties are all passed out drunk and the fish tend to turn on the

bite. After Memorial day weekend things quiet down considerably.