The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road
Default opening day strategy

Just curious how you approach the first day of fishing season. April first in maine usually still has some snow melting, the water is high and not much bug activity. Where to fish? lakes,ponds,rivers,brooks? What patterns would you use.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: opening day strategy

For me it's most likely nymph, stone fly maybe. After that I may/will give some wets a try. After that I'll give up and go home. That's how opening day usually plays out for me. FWIW, there is usually no one around and it's usually a beautifully bitter cold snow blowing day, but I like it.
Oh I see you're new here, welcome to the forum.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Back when I lived in NJ I would spend opening day at home, too many rods and too many hatchery heroes. Don't know what its like up your way but I would find a small out of the way creek and keep tabs on it if there is no flow gauge.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM

I know plenty of places where ill never see anyone else. Thats what I love about maine. Not many people will walk as far through the woods to get to a stream as me. But last year was my first real fly fishing year and I didnt start until late may,so Im not sure how the first day will go. Been tying up some stonefly nymphs and streamers. hopefully somthing will like them.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I usually make the pilgrimage down south to a certain lake thoroughfare were the landlocks are looking for smelts. There's not much traffic, its still to cold, but you do have the chance of catching a few if the sun is shining.

Last edited by bear 007; 03-09-2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I built a 6' catapult and saved all my round gourds from last year. going to bomb the worm dunkers and hardware chukers acroos the road 200 yds. away on the stream. Oh yeah got some skunk spray glands from a local trapper and am inserting them in the gourds.....Gonna be a great opening day !!!
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

You could do like I did when I used to fish opening day in Pa. Sing and talk to yourself outloud. People tend to move away. Hmmm...wonder why?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Here in south of France, today was the opening day for trout season.

Rivers are hight dirty and snow melt. I only fish 2 hours, with nymph and split shot. Only 1 trout of 15"

We have to wait few week !!
diamond rush likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM

atleast you caught somthing
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM

joesacc is on a distinguished road

opening day is best spent at home . read the fishing reports , then go out