The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By diamond rush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Beautiful Weekend in the NC Mountains

It's the first truly nice weekend down in here in NC. 60s and sunny, even up in the mountains. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to fish this weekend.

I hiked in to one of my favorite streams just off 181 in Burke County. The water was very high and ice cold. Tons of black stoneflies hatching, and a couple big slate-winged mayflies. Some midges as well. I didn't see any rises, though. I picked up a couple tiny 'bows ticking the bottom with a heavily weighted nymphs.

Oh, and I also caught one of these:
Click the image to open in full size.
11" brown. A very nice fish for this area. He was sitting right downstream of that rock watching for anything that might come his way. The first cast down that current picked him up.

Beautiful scenery as well.
Jackster and yonder like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Beautiful Weekend in the NC Mountains

I figured there had to be something below that rock! Beautiful stream and nice job! Sadly I couldn't get out this weekend as I was working yesterday until 4 so I took the kayak out and tried to hook some bass..but none the less great looking waters and glad to here you hooked a few!