The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   sick looking trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/313992-sick-looking-trout.html)

troutbound 03-18-2013 04:19 PM

sick looking trout

I am teaching my son how to fly fish, he is loving every minute of it. I took him to a 2 acre stocked pond here in town today. The water is murky as is everyother body of water in this county. Anyway, we saw a few trout that were swimming with their top fin above water, just swimming in circles. Their bottom jaw was a very pale white and atleast 1 side of their body had very large blotches of white covering 90% of that side. They didn't get excited about any fly he through and his fly line didn't bother them even whe sitting on their back. A couple that we saw were along the bank and appeared to be scratching themselves along their sides on anything that they could. Anyone got any ideas? We did also find a few that were dead and a large pile of filleted crappie in the water.

noreaster 03-18-2013 04:22 PM

Re: sick looking trout

Doesn't sound good. Is the water stagnant, land locked, or contaminated?

troutbound 03-18-2013 04:29 PM

We have just had a bunch of snow and rains, the over flow is running. At first I thought battle scares and very well could be, there are bass and flatheads in that pond, but still I ain't gonna eat any the way they are looking.

dewbar 03-18-2013 06:27 PM

I've seen trout like that. Not swimming weird but having white spots and looking unhealthy. I read somewheres that its a parasite but if you cook it good it wont hurt to eat it.. Ive ate some and never got sick. The water is probably not healthy. I think its most common in ponds that dont have flowing water. Heres a link with some pics if you do a google search u can come up with more info.
Inshore Fishing report from Capt. Thunderbotlt (aka ) Capt. Rick Georgia saltwater fishing guide

mikel 03-18-2013 06:38 PM

chances are the fish was handled with dry hands at some point and the slime layer was wiped away. They are subject to infection and the water likely didn't help...-Mike

troutbound 03-18-2013 07:57 PM

Thanks guys, I knew this was the best place for answers

dabluz 03-19-2013 01:34 AM

The white blotchy skin is an infection. Not bacterial or viral but fungal type. Probably caused by the water conditions at the hatchery. I've seen some hatcheries that were forced to close down for a while in order to clean up their system.

wt bash 03-19-2013 10:01 AM

Dabluz is dead on,nearly half the rainbows stocked by my TU chapter are like this. I've seen them swimming around with what looks like cauliflower stuck to their heads. It can be brought on by conditions in the hatchery or the change in water conditions upon stocking.

silver creek 03-19-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabluz (Post 538368)
The white blotchy skin is an infection. Not bacterial or viral but fungal type. Probably caused by the water conditions at the hatchery. I've seen some hatcheries that were forced to close down for a while in order to clean up their system.

+1 on the fungus.

jmac321 03-20-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabluz (Post 538368)

Or water conditions in the stock pond. With out pic's it's any bodies guess. :)