The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM

troutbound is on a distinguished road
Default sick looking trout

I am teaching my son how to fly fish, he is loving every minute of it. I took him to a 2 acre stocked pond here in town today. The water is murky as is everyother body of water in this county. Anyway, we saw a few trout that were swimming with their top fin above water, just swimming in circles. Their bottom jaw was a very pale white and atleast 1 side of their body had very large blotches of white covering 90% of that side. They didn't get excited about any fly he through and his fly line didn't bother them even whe sitting on their back. A couple that we saw were along the bank and appeared to be scratching themselves along their sides on anything that they could. Anyone got any ideas? We did also find a few that were dead and a large pile of filleted crappie in the water.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: sick looking trout

Doesn't sound good. Is the water stagnant, land locked, or contaminated?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM

We have just had a bunch of snow and rains, the over flow is running. At first I thought battle scares and very well could be, there are bass and flatheads in that pond, but still I ain't gonna eat any the way they are looking.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road

I've seen trout like that. Not swimming weird but having white spots and looking unhealthy. I read somewheres that its a parasite but if you cook it good it wont hurt to eat it.. Ive ate some and never got sick. The water is probably not healthy. I think its most common in ponds that dont have flowing water. Heres a link with some pics if you do a google search u can come up with more info.
Inshore Fishing report from Capt. Thunderbotlt (aka ) Capt. Rick Georgia saltwater fishing guide
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

chances are the fish was handled with dry hands at some point and the slime layer was wiped away. They are subject to infection and the water likely didn't help...-Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys, I knew this was the best place for answers
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

The white blotchy skin is an infection. Not bacterial or viral but fungal type. Probably caused by the water conditions at the hatchery. I've seen some hatcheries that were forced to close down for a while in order to clean up their system.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Dabluz is dead on,nearly half the rainbows stocked by my TU chapter are like this. I've seen them swimming around with what looks like cauliflower stuck to their heads. It can be brought on by conditions in the hatchery or the change in water conditions upon stocking.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
The white blotchy skin is an infection. Not bacterial or viral but fungal type. Probably caused by the water conditions at the hatchery. I've seen some hatcheries that were forced to close down for a while in order to clean up their system.
+1 on the fungus.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
Or water conditions in the stock pond. With out pic's it's any bodies guess.