The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough
Default Breaking in new net

I was lucky enough to purchase a beautiful net from Greg at Sierra-Nets. I also had 6wt Bamboo rod I wanted to try out with a new to me Galvan Torque reel. On Friday the 15th I headed up to the Upper Kern River in the Southern Sierras in Ca. At the fist spot realized my sliding band reel seat does not fit my T-6 reel, as it keep falling off. Now I was left with my 10ft Streamflex 3wt.

Please excuse the pics, I was using my phone and trying to take the pics quickly to get the fish out of the net and back in the water.

I headed upstream a few miles and found a spot with a couple of pools and lucky for me I saw fish, I had to cast 40ft up and across the stream to get the drift right after playing around with a few nymphs this was my first fish maybe 14in

Click the image to open in full size.

It had some nice color to it and fought well. I think it took a olive birds nest

After repositioning to another pool, I added a zebra midge as a second fly and I was able to land this bow

This one was quite a bit fatter and maybe 16in

I moved upstream a bit and found another pool area between submerged rocks and was able to this heavily spotted beauty on a black birds nest size 16.

Good sized fish and had quite a bit of fight to it.

It was an amazing day on the water

My final fish of the day, I only was on the water for 4 hours and brought 6 fish to net and lost a couple more. It was incredible day on the water. There were a couple of fish feeding on top as I was leaving maybe a BWO hatch around 18-20 in size.

Greg hooked me up with a Claro Walnut Burl handle with Wenge and Mahogany hoop. I also was able to get a really cool magnetic net release from him

Here are a couple of pics of the net, it has a great feel to it. If you ever need a custom net Greg is incredible to deal at Sierra Nets - Sierra Nets, Custom Wood Fly Fishing Trout Landing Nets, custom rods and reels, hand crafted fishing nets, flyfishing, fly fishing accessories

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Breaking in new net

Great looking net.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM

mnbassfisher is on a distinguished road

That's an awesome looking net!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yep, nice fish too!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice net...and fish...

Last edited by jpbfly; 03-20-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Nice looking net.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM

wjw is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wjw Send a message via AIM to wjw

I'm new to the forum, live in Va. But my son moved to LA a year ago reading up on the upper Kern, not been out yet & going crazy. Any suggestions where a 22 year old may get started? ?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjw View Post
I'm new to the forum, live in Va. But my son moved to LA a year ago reading up on the upper Kern, not been out yet & going crazy. Any suggestions where a 22 year old may get started? ?
PM me I can give him some info, the local creeks are not doing well with lack of rain last 2 years.
wjw likes this.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

A great looking net, also looks like a great day on the water. Some nice fish.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

Great looking net. I also like the net-keeper. I just picked up my first bamboo rod. I am now in need a great little net to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com