The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arrrrgggghhhhh! And I'm no Pirate!

Now THAT would make for a Kodak moment!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Or you could move out west where there is no opening day and we can trout fish 24/7/365 .
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
You, my friend, ARE A GENIUS! Knowing the weather here in SW PA, the field will get flooded weather (pun intended) I do it or not. Such is spring baseball in PA.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the weather channel is saying 37 degrees and Sunny in Berlin tomorrow... So either be prepared to preach the dangers of hypothermia or scout the irrigation lines tonight! Best of luck for either....I, for one, think baseball should not be played at any temperature lower than 68 degrees!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I agree on the temperature thing, but if that were the case we'd probably only have a 6 game season! The cold is absolutely wicked on the aluminum bats, every year we shatter a few.....sound like glass breaking. Tomorrow is to be as you said, Sunday is looking pretty grim. I can't find a weather site that predicts far enough into the future for April 13th. Probably for the best.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Angry Re: Arrrrgggghhhhh! And I'm no Pirate!

Quote:
I agree on the temperature thing, but if that were the case we'd probably only have a 6 game season! The cold is absolutely wicked on the aluminum bats, every year we shatter a few.....sound like glass breaking. Tomorrow is to be as you said, Sunday is looking pretty grim. I can't find a weather site that predicts far enough into the future for April 13th. Probably for the best.
Try Accuweather's monthly forecast.... says April 13 will be 62 and sunny in Berlin..... but who the heck knows how accurate that is?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Bad News it looks like you are Going to The Carnival if I was in The US I could send a Box of Hankies or Tissues however look on The other side as there will be plenty of time afterwards to go Fishing.
I can imagine what would happen if you were seen Fishing when you should have been elsewhere your credibility would be Shot to Ribbons.
Remember Grown Men Don't Cry with exceptions to circumstances like this one.
Also I hope your Team does well.
Brian
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As accurate as the weather forecasting seems to be these days, you'd be best served looking at the forecast for April 13th on the 12th.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Homer we just lost one coach at Pocono Mountain HS. Transfer here we don't see the field(snow) till May!

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Our AD is a friend and he works around fishing! Or else!

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Or go to the Regional Opener which starts in some county's tomorrow! Lehigh has some good streams! At least you can say you made the PA opener!
mrfzx likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

The river will always be there. The kids will grow up and be gone. share yourself with all those to make an impression on. or do a rain dance!
as for being a pirate... you are from pa. ha ha
mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM

Just wanted to follow up. Six of my buddies and their kids camped out Friday night with me next to the creek. It rained pretty hard the day before so the water was very high and fast. It got pretty chilly over night, the thermometer read 32F when I woke up at 530 to stoke up the fire. Of course we could not fish until 8AM as is PA state law on opening day here, and I could not have been more proud of several of the boys camped with us. About 630, a guy i never saw before comes walking in, which is perfectly allowed on our property, but he walked straight to the creek made a cast. I was busy with the bacon on the fire, and didn't notice him start to fish, but the boys sure saw him! I heard one of them yell, "hey buddy what are you doing?" and the guy replied that he was fishing. Three of the older boys gathered and yelled back that the season sin't open until 8AM. The guy kept fishing and said it was "Okay, that he was friends with the property owner." LOL! The boys looked back at me, and I shook my head "no". I started to walk towards where the boys sere standing and then I stopped, thinking I wanted to see how they would handle it. The oldest boy yelled at the guy (it was hard to hear over the water sdo he had to yell), "I don't care if you're the Governor, you can't fish until 8AM!" By then the guy saw that we had gathered to watch what was happening, and he yelled at us,"You had better get your ___##$% kids under control." That was too much, and I told him in no uncertain terms that "The ___##$% kids were under control, I am the owner of this property, you're a liar, and you have about 30 seconds to vacate." He left. We all spent a few minutes lauding the kiddos for standing up for what was right, and then we all had bacon, eggs, and my special open-fire, dutch oven, peach cobbler for breakfast.

I had to leave at 9AM for my baseball tournament, but I did get to see my buddy's 5 year old catch his first trout. Not on a fly, but his first solo trout none-the-less. We lost the first game to a team from Ohio, Alliance HS. We won the second game over a team from Frostburg, MD called Mountain Ridge. The tournament ended at about 6PM, and I managed to get about 30 minutes of fishing in before dark. Caught 2 nice brownies, and wrote it off as one of the best opening days......so far!
jaybo41, theboz and busbus like this.