The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Arrrrgggghhhhh! And I'm no Pirate!

As I've said on the forum before, I am a teacher. I also coach Baseball for my High School. My wonderful AD scheduled us for a tournament on April 13th. An all day, AM to PM tournament. Oh, and it just so happens April 13th is the trout opener where I live in PA. I am 47 years old and have never missed an opening day in my memory. So my question is:

1. Do I resign my coaching job?
2. Beat the snot out of my AD?(which would have the same effect as #1)
3. Cry softly as I coach the team?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrrrgggghhhhh! And I'm no Pirate!

If you love coaching the kids, then the only real option is #3, as satisfying as #2 would be.
mrfzx likes this.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

#3 because you're the kids' coach! However I think you'll be coming down with a cold on April 15th and should probably take the day off...
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
If you love coaching the kids, then the only real option is #3, as satisfying as #2 would be.
Yeah...dedication is a b**ch!
mcnerney likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

mrfzx,

Same problem here. I have to go to IUP to see my daughter perform and it is going to waste that ENTIRE DAY. It makes it harder as you drive by some nice streams as you are going to IUP. Trust me.

But, well, she comes first. It rips me apart and my wife is bringing along her iPod and turn the volume high as we pass the streams along the way because she doesn't want to hear my b^^^^ing.

The only thing that helps is that my daughter is the one who got me back into fishing. She was so enthusiastic when she was young and she caught fish the very first time she threw line into the water. I have taken her out as much as I could over the years until she was 16 and fishing all of a sudden was not fun. I had to always slay the worm and remove the fish, but I have (not enough) memories of us fishing and they will have to do.

Suck it up and go with #3. There will be memories from that, too, which you can keep forever.
mcnerney, mrfzx and jaybo41 like this.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Option 3 is the way to go. Use it as a teaching moment to your students and your team. Go out on the 2nd day or the next day you can fish and enjoy the extra elbow room

One other thought...if you want to keep your opening day streak alive, you COULD venture to SEPA and hit the March 30th Opening Day. As if things in PA regulations/laws can't be backward enough, we need 2 opening days.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Try the "Bull Durham" option.... flood the field the night before. Lament publicly about the awful luck....but then go fishing!
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
As I've said on the forum before, I am a teacher. I also coach Baseball for my High School. My wonderful AD scheduled us for a tournament on April 13th. An all day, AM to PM tournament. Oh, and it just so happens April 13th is the trout opener where I live in PA. I am 47 years old and have never missed an opening day in my memory. So my question is:

1. Do I resign my coaching job?
2. Beat the snot out of my AD?(which would have the same effect as #1)
3. Cry softly as I coach the team?
-------------

Take the kids fishing.

paul
busbus likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Try the "Bull Durham" option.... flood the field the night before. Lament publicly about the awful luck....but then go fishing!
You, my friend, ARE A GENIUS! Knowing the weather here in SW PA, the field will get flooded weather (pun intended) I do it or not. Such is spring baseball in PA.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to keep our eyes on the police report for Berlin PA, might rival Bozeman I can see the picture in the paper - you in your waders, flooded fields, kids crying. Be sure to post it!
mrfzx likes this.