The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 AM

zarkhd is on a distinguished road
Default Need help please!!!

Hello everyone, i'm relatively new to fly fishing... I spent 3 weekends in the park practicing, and then i went to Croton 2 times, and did not have any luck there. I tried different patterns and walked all the way down... No luck with any fish. Would anyone please suggest a place where i can actually catch some fish, not too far away from NYC. I would really appreciate your help.

Tha ks guys!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need help please!!!

Hello,

If I were where you are at I would visit a Barns & Noble or any large book seller and browse the NY Outdoor section. Every state I've lived in seems to have a 'Where to fish book' out on the trout or other species you may be interested in. Being in the city you are not too far from linking onto Rt. 17 just up north and then it's a relatively pleasant and short drive over into the Catskill region.

It has been almost 34 years and many a storm, most recently 'Sandy' have wracked Long Islands Carmen's River but there were or perhaps are brook & brown trout in Carmen's. Any guide to fishing NY should mention Long Island and any opportunity that may still exist there. I am presuming you are interested in trout fishing, is this correct?

Ard

PS; In an afterthought it occurred to me that we have a NYC member who may be able to help you. His user name is floorabove. If you go to our private messing system and choose "Send New Message" when you type in the name it will automatically show you his as one of the choices. Send a PM and I bet he replies to you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

You are trying to catch a species (trout) that stifles the best of us on some days. If you want to catch fish and learn and have fun, pick a pond and fish for blue gills to start. central park is full of them and bass. its still cold in the rivers and fish are sluggish still.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Sandfly's probably got it right. A little warmer water and definitely bluegills.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarkhd View Post
i'm relatively new to fly fishing...and walked all the way down... No luck with any fish.
Hello and welcome. Sorry I can't help on locations, don't know the area.

I have found that trout spook easily. As a rule I will rarely fish a stream down stream. Trout are quite sensitive to vibrations, and sediment washed into the stream. All these things are punctuated as sound and sediment travel down stream. Maybe try going upstream next time. Use the bank as much as possible
Good luck
phil
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You might also check out the Orvis Learning Center, lots of great information there on fly fishing. How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Also checkout the episode on Fly Fishing NYC that Aaron Jasper did on Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio. I think you have to sign up as a member (it's free) to see the archived shows.
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/sp...ly-fishing.cfm

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM

zarkhd is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys. I appreciate it all. I will keep trying for trout until a spot that i used to spin cast for bass opens, and head there... If anyone wants a great place to fish for bass and little pikes i can gladly share the location

I also signed up for Orvis free fly fishing 101 that will be held in April. And am still working on my casting in the park till i get it perfect like "the river runs through it" ))
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

It is awfully early in the season for trout. You'll have better luck after the water warms up a bit more and the mayflies and caddisflies start to hatch. In the meantime, visit some of your local fly shops and don't be shy about asking for beginners' advice. They want you to succeed so you become a repeat customer. You should learn a lot in the Orvis "fly fishing 101" seminar, but the reason they don't hold it until the end of April is because that's about when the steady action gets under way.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 AM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

Swing a soft hackle.. you will always catch some fish.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

After your training in the park, I would try to get a friend, who do fly fishing, with you to the river, so that he could give you some advice.
If you do not have any fly fishing friend, than I would have a look at your river to find a person who would spent some hours with you.

But nevertheless, some "fishless" days are not sooooo unusual But I am pretty sure after the Orvis session, you WILL catch fish

THORSTEN