The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM

stewart711 is on a distinguished road
Default Worm problem!

I've been fly fishing for a year and a half now. From my log book I know that I fish 172 days per year. I have fished through 8 releases. I nymph, dry fly, swing wets and streamers. I catch trout in all months but August. I did not fish this mid March release because because of the following pattern I have learned. Fish get released and I can catch upwards of 10 per day. The release attracts many worm fishermen. If a worm fisherman or corn or dyed sparkle dough guy comes around I get nothing while they get 10. An hour after they leave I may get one for the rest of that day. The following day I can catch again until they show up. Like a switch was thrown all action stops for me yet 3 worm guys next to me can catch continuously. Can I get better and overcome this or is this the way it is?

Thanks Stewart
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Worm problem!

It sounds like you need to drive a bit. I'm not surprised, given the population density you're dealing with. Are there any C&R streams on Long Island? Maybe you could try Connecticut- the Housatonic, or some of the famous upstate New York streams.
ps- If the fish are really zeroing in on worms try a San Juan worm.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Worm problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
It sounds like you need to drive a bit. I'm not surprised, given the population density you're dealing with. Are there any C&R streams on Long Island? Maybe you could try Connecticut- the Housatonic, or some of the famous upstate New York streams.
ps- If the fish are really zeroing in on worms try a San Juan worm.
What he said.

I'd start looking for new places to fish.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the episode on "Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio" that Aaron Jasper did on fly fishing in the New York City area. Here is what he said "New York City area is one of the most densely populated areas in the country. However, if one were to take a map, a pencil compass and make a 90 mile circle around New York City there are hundreds of high quality fly fishing streams within this area. Join us as we take a tour of some great fisheries in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania all within a short drive of the 'Big Apple'".
I think you have to join (it is free) to listen to archived shows, but I think it would be worth it to get some insight into other areas to fish.
New York City Fly Fishing - Only a Cab Ride Away | Aaron Jasper | Fly Fishing

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Fish inside connetquot,nissequoge or carmens river park. No bait or lures allowed!
Fish the brackish parts of the streams with streamers and you will catch salters(sea run brookies) they dont like corn!
I fish below sunrise hwy on the conny often with many bait guys and still outfish them with flys!
Dont fish the day of the stocking wait 2 days for them to settle in!

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Avoid sat,sun and holidays at all costs! Unless you enjoy combat fishing!haha!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 PM

stewart711 is on a distinguished road

Nickj and others, thanks for the responses. The san juan was the first thing I tried. With bead, w/o, with split shot 14" above. I never even got a hit. Prehaps I don't fish it right?

I live on and fish the nissequoque river, it has a 60ft dia pool 8 ft deep at center with a 3ft fall feeding it, some riffles, and a 3ft deep run under a bridge. I am very lucky to put on waders in my yard and walk to fish. I do also fish the C&R's as mentioned. I do avoid weekends, but I consider this a challenge.

I consider myself a new fly fisherman with much to learn. I was hoping for a technique or fly that would make it so that I don't have to leave the pool when the worm/corn/dough (sometimes all 3 at once on the same hook) arrive. The way they fish puzzles me. Trout like to hold and let the current bring them food right? Do they "cruise" the bottom and actively seek out weighted dough and worms. Their success baffles me. They throw a weighted worm and then stand and wait, sometimes upwards of twenty minutes, but they almost always catch and sometimes release.

Today I fished a run for some time. There are stockies in for two weeks now. Nymphs then streamers, nothing. No sooner than I left a trout feel victim to a weighted worm from a fisherman who waded in like he wanted to scare the fish. How How How? I dug up 3 worms, the first meager little things I found and put one on a #12 BH hares ear. Got a trout, he was gut hooked so I cut the tippet. I put the second worm on a #12 BH pheasant tail got a second brown as quickly as the first. Again gut hooked. I threw the third worm in the river and vowed never to do that again.

So I gather there are times when fly fishing just won't out perform bait. Basically we fly guys avoid such places?

Do you think a flyman exists that could out fish these guys in the same pool. I want to be that guy!

Thanks again, Stewart

Last edited by stewart711; 03-31-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2013, 04:55 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to be in the same pool with them? Im guessing Whites Pool?
Walk down towards the estuary , find a spot where you can wade the flat without sinking in the muck and catch a monster sea run while everyone else is playing with stockers! You may even get a bonus Striper or White Perch!
Oh and say hello to the bull for me!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the title and thought "There are pills you can take for that."

Maybe the San Juan Worm is not big enough. Maybe you need to try and match the size and color of the worm dunkers. There is no law that makes you follow the pattern precisely. I tie one that is good Night Crawler sixe I call the San Onofre Worm. It's a beast of a fly. It's named after the San Onofre nuclear power plant, or the Dolly Parton memorial as it is often referred to.

I also have a question. Is corn legal in Trout waters there? I was under the assumption it was pretty much illegal everywhere because it is not good for the Trout. They can't digest it and it plugs them up. Heck I can't digest it. I just eat it for the taste and a timing tag.
JoJer and milt spawn like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Well, first things first... don't hang out where bait fisherman hang out, they're just a bad crowd.

The SJ worms... it looks like you've tried a bunch of different variations, how about color change? The bright red works best for me here in Colorado, different weights depend on the water temp/flow/visibility. I go from no weight to one with a tungsten bead and lots of red wire wraps. In NY you might try something that looks moldy or rotten. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Before I moved here I was 914/10804. 24 years ago and have never been back.

It sounds like you have a great back yard..
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I saw the title and thought "There are pills you can take for that."

Maybe the San Juan Worm is not big enough. Maybe you need to try and match the size and color of the worm dunkers. There is no law that makes you follow the pattern precisely. I tie one that is good Night Crawler sixe I call the San Onofre Worm. It's a beast of a fly. It's named after the San Onofre nuclear power plant, or the Dolly Parton memorial as it is often referred to.

I also have a question. Is corn legal in Trout waters there? I was under the assumption it was pretty much illegal everywhere because it is not good for the Trout. They can't digest it and it plugs them up. Heck I can't digest it. I just eat it for the taste and a timing tag.
Corn is legal. They use it on trout,carp and flounder and whatever else will take it. Dough balls are the hot stocker bait on LI , Pillsbury.