The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where are all the fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I know that a lot of the stuff I recommend is old, old books, old rods, and etc. My thinking is that some things just don't become outdated. ...
An axe is an axe. Last major 'upgrade', an all steel head,' was over a thousand years ago.

The coolest thing about Homo sapiens is that they learned to use innovation and invention to eliminate and neutralize deficiencies. The biggest deficiency Homo sapiens sapiens has is its mis-guided belief that knowledge and skill can be completely replaced with technology.

Tactics on Trout by Roy Ovington is probably the best 'primers' a beginner can read.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road

I will will check my local library hopefully they will have a copy but I dont have the money to buy it at the moment. thanks though
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I personally like the old stuff better. You can still hunt with a bow and arrow, you can still fish with a fiberglass fly rod, and I'm just about positive that the fish have not evolved so much in the last 50 years that they are not still in the slow water near the faster water this time of year.

Some things I have learned

In rivers:
cold water, fish slow water, or get deep into the pools.
Never miss an opportunity to fish a seam.
Fish like places where there is protection from predators and a ready food supply, without having to fight the current too much.

In lakes, find and fish weedbeds and dropoffs, if the water is cold, slow down the retrieve.

I still like the books prospecting for trout by Tom Rosenbauer, and the orvis fly fishing guide isn't bad either.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM

alexs will become famous soon enough

One of the best books I've read about trout fishing is Trout Tactics, by Joe Humphries. It covers pretty much everything one should know about trout fishing in flowing water (up to the date of publishing). He emphasizes trout behavior as the most important think to learn in order to become a successful trout fisherman. Many other writers take inspiration from this book. It's a "must read" for any fly fisherman that is serious about his/her hobby.

Tight lines,
Alex