The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Where are all the fish (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/316325-where-all-fish.html)

dewbar 04-11-2013 02:33 PM

Where are all the fish

I have been out fishing a bunch of times to all the spots I caught them last year. Its been cold but we have had a few nice days. I've seen some midge hatches and a ton of adult stoneflies all over the sides of the rivers and the bridges but haven't seen any sign of fish or any bites. I haven't tried any brooks or lakes yet as they are not completely unthawed yet. A few people have caught some big browns one 19 1/2 " and 1 26" underneath a big waterfall. I have just been fishing small streams and medium size rivers. And the deep holes where smaller streams run into the bigger rivers. Are the fish in deep water like lakes this time of year? Ive been scanning the rivers from the edges and the bridges and can't see any. And have been having problems with my leaders and eyes on my fly poles freezing up. Any help locating trout in these weather conditions would be really nice. its been around 45-50 degrees during the day and cold at night. thanks

plecain 04-11-2013 04:20 PM

Re: Where are all the fish

Where are you?

nickj 04-11-2013 04:39 PM

Water temps..

Hardyreels 04-11-2013 05:59 PM

Look for an old book titled 'Trout Waters and How To Fish Them' by Joseph D. Bates.

The author dedicates much of his writing in this work to the changing seasons and the habits of trout that change with them. It may be more conclusive that replies on the forum. Replies matter but if you want a solid understanding I would recommend the book. Check your local public library before buying.

dewbar 04-12-2013 09:26 AM

maine and I dont have a thermometer gotta get one. But water is still really cold. id say 35-40 degrees

Hardyreels 04-12-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 546107)
Look for an old book titled 'Trout Waters and How To Fish Them' by Joseph D. Bates.

The author dedicates much of his writing in this work to the changing seasons and the habits of trout that change with them. It may be more conclusive that replies on the forum. Replies matter but if you want a solid understanding I would recommend the book. Check your local public library before buying.

Perhaps you missed this, I'm serious, it's old but filled with information that would take you a lifetime to figure out on your own if ever. Bates fished Maine and that is where most of his discussion is focused.

Ard

plecain 04-12-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 546107)

Ordered it from Amazon - $24.

rccola712 04-12-2013 04:10 PM

Fish deep... really deep.

spiderninja 04-12-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 546320)

Haha, I had to grab a copy too.

Hardyreels 04-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 546320)

Now that's what I'm talking about! I sent you some Rep points on that one :)

I really believe that many questions about the seasonal habits of trout are addressed in the book far better than I could attempt in posting on the forum.

Please let me know what you think of it.

Ard

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderninja (Post 546410)
Haha, I had to grab a copy too.

Outstanding!

I really mean that and I sent you Rep also!

I know that a lot of the stuff I recommend is old, old books, old rods, and etc. My thinking is that some things just don't become outdated.

Seeing people actually do what you guys have will keep me posting for a year :D

Thanks,

Ard