The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM

dewbar is on a distinguished road
Default Where are all the fish

I have been out fishing a bunch of times to all the spots I caught them last year. Its been cold but we have had a few nice days. I've seen some midge hatches and a ton of adult stoneflies all over the sides of the rivers and the bridges but haven't seen any sign of fish or any bites. I haven't tried any brooks or lakes yet as they are not completely unthawed yet. A few people have caught some big browns one 19 1/2 " and 1 26" underneath a big waterfall. I have just been fishing small streams and medium size rivers. And the deep holes where smaller streams run into the bigger rivers. Are the fish in deep water like lakes this time of year? Ive been scanning the rivers from the edges and the bridges and can't see any. And have been having problems with my leaders and eyes on my fly poles freezing up. Any help locating trout in these weather conditions would be really nice. its been around 45-50 degrees during the day and cold at night. thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where are all the fish

Where are you?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Water temps..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Look for an old book titled 'Trout Waters and How To Fish Them' by Joseph D. Bates.

The author dedicates much of his writing in this work to the changing seasons and the habits of trout that change with them. It may be more conclusive that replies on the forum. Replies matter but if you want a solid understanding I would recommend the book. Check your local public library before buying.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 AM

dewbar is on a distinguished road

maine and I dont have a thermometer gotta get one. But water is still really cold. id say 35-40 degrees
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Look for an old book titled 'Trout Waters and How To Fish Them' by Joseph D. Bates.

The author dedicates much of his writing in this work to the changing seasons and the habits of trout that change with them. It may be more conclusive that replies on the forum. Replies matter but if you want a solid understanding I would recommend the book. Check your local public library before buying.
Perhaps you missed this, I'm serious, it's old but filled with information that would take you a lifetime to figure out on your own if ever. Bates fished Maine and that is where most of his discussion is focused.

Ard

Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Ordered it from Amazon - $24.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Fish deep... really deep.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Haha, I had to grab a copy too.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about! I sent you some Rep points on that one

I really believe that many questions about the seasonal habits of trout are addressed in the book far better than I could attempt in posting on the forum.

Please let me know what you think of it.

Ard

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderninja View Post
Haha, I had to grab a copy too.
Outstanding!

I really mean that and I sent you Rep also!

I know that a lot of the stuff I recommend is old, old books, old rods, and etc. My thinking is that some things just don't become outdated.

Seeing people actually do what you guys have will keep me posting for a year

Thanks,

Ard