The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Sulfur nymph vs March Brown

Hello all,

I am tying some sulfurs for early may here in PA. I was told by the local fly shop that with the cold weather we have been having, the hatch will probably be delayed and march browns are more likely at this time period. When i look at pictures of the actual nymphs they look very similar... What is the key feature on them that you think sets the fish off as to which is which or will my sulfur pass as either? I used yellow PT, black thin skin, a brown dubbing for the thorax, and partridge for legs.

The key feature for the sulfur was the 1/2 dark wingcase but what for the MB?

Thanks in advance,
Nick P
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sulfur nymph vs March Brown

It may be just a "confidence in certain fly types" thing, but for me the simple Pheasant-tail nymph in sizes 14-16 does a great job of imitating the sulphur (Ephemerella) nymphs.

When fishing Pocono streams with good March Brown populations, a standard Hare's Ear nymph (no beadhead) with exaggerated legs (brown partridge hackle) in sizes 10-12 worked much better for me this time of year.
wt bash and shortyb like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

march brown nymphs run a lot bigger than sulphurs and have a reddish brown color with a amber under belly in pa. Sulphurs are lighter(yellowish) and smaller than the MB's. MB= size 10-14
Sulfers= 16-20
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In my little part of the world, what I call sulfurs are still 5-6 weeks away.
March browns are much sooner.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Okay so MB are just a few hook sizes larger and browner (I feel a little dumb) thanks. Do you guys have any specific pattern suggestions for MBs or just use a hares ear in size 12 with a brown thin skin back?

Thanks again to you guys who replied
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Lots of folks use a gold-ribbed hare's ear, but Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has written approvingly of this one:

Coleman's March Brown

(Tom started his fishing career in Carl Coleman's fly shop.)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post

Okay so MB are just a few hook sizes larger and browner (I feel a little dumb) thanks. Do you guys have any specific pattern suggestions for MBs or just use a hares ear in size 12 with a brown thin skin back?

Thanks again to you guys who replied
I wouldn't over-think it too much... sometimes the more detail that goes in, the less lively the imitation looks like in the water. But if you really want to go nuts, here are the side-by-sides;

Eastern March Brown (Maccaffertium vicarium)
Click the image to open in full size.

link: Maccaffertium vicarium (March Brown) Mayfly Nymph Pictures

Sulphur (Ephemerella invaria)

link: Ephemerella invaria (Sulphur Dun) Mayfly Nymph Pictures

Keep in mind that "sulphur" is the name of a fly pattern, and it covers about half a dozen yellowish mayflies over three (3) families

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I have come to the point of not worrying so much about the minutia. After seining too many aquatic bugs that looked so much alike , and then being told that they were different species???

the basic amber colored nymph cant go wrong...size might actually be a bigger factor??...I will leave that to the experts...the good 'ole hares ear or twenty incher seems to always do the trick if the drift speed is correct...ie just a little slower than the bubbles...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Lots of folks use a gold-ribbed hare's ear, but Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has written approvingly of this one:
Coleman's March Brown
(Tom started his fishing career in Carl Coleman's fly shop.)
I'm a big fan of the Coleman March Brown and if you study it, you'll see that it works for the same reasons that copperjohn might.
I once had an opportunity to discuss the this nymph with Rosenbauer and he felt that the fly probably was just a march brown in name only and more likely was taken for something else... like a crayfish.
That takes nothing away from it though, it's a great fly.

Count me as someone who believes that the more detail to a fly, the easier it is for the fish to decide it's a fraud. While most of my nymphs are little more than fur over lead, I do carry the march brown flymph.

stenacron likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

You notice how long and wide that wing case is.. I think that is important.
Putting a split in that case with yellow under it works very well in our area. We have sulphurs from now until last of December. Not unheard of to have a good sulphur hatch around Christmas.
We have had them strong for the last two weeks.
That regular Solitude Split case is deadly.

Last edited by rodc; 04-23-2013 at 03:03 PM.