The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 PM

lrharge22 is on a distinguished road
Question Where Should I Go!?????

I need every ones help and advice. I am a college student at the Univ. of Oklahoma but I live in West Texas in Midland. I get out of school may 8 and I have 2 weeks until my job starts. I am wanting to go fly fish somewhere and camp as well for 4-5 days. I have not done much fishing out west but I am really interested. Where should I Go. Colorado? New Mexico? Arizona? please give me advice and what rivers. I am interested in catching brown trout and rainbows while wade fishing but open to any ideas!!

-Layton
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where Should I Go!?????

Alaska.... Its always a blast there but a little pricey so maybe not in the budget
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I may be a bit biased because I live in the area, but I would head directly north and fish the North Platte below Lake Ogallala in Nebraska, huge rainbows, and decent size cutts and browns to be had. Then head west and hit the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef near Casper Wyoming for some streamer chuckin' fun. Head home through Colorado and New Mexico and hit up some some smaller streams. Something along those lines is what I would do for trout. Maybe include Montana in your trip also...

-Chase
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

First, for context, just driving sucks up a huge amount of time. I don't care how good a driver you are, or the speed limits, but you'll not do much better than 50mph (average) with food/potty stops. 800 miles = close to 16 hours behind the wheel. Just trust me on that observation.

The United States is Big, as in really Big. Example: You cross the Cal/Oregon boarder and are driving to Washington State up I-5 ( a straight shot). The distance is 90+/- miles further than from down town London to down town Paris. Or another two hours if all that water wasn't in the way. Yes, yes, I know they have the 'Chunnel.'

So where ever you pick, factor in driving as it's going to suck up a lot of 'time.'
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

2nd/3rd week of May... going to be getting into "runoff" on a lot of western rivers... so I would think "tailwaters" if that's the direction you go in.

If it were "me", that time of year, and one crazy trip to burn... I would head to Roscoe, NY... immerse yourself in the "fertile crescent" of American fly-fishing. All those fabled Catskill rivers and great hatches (I think everyone should fish at least one good Hendrickson hatch in their life). That's probably a little out of your range... but it would be epic!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Kind of partial to the Colorado area but you cannot go wrong with the opportunities for tailwater fishing just on the front range. The Big Thompson up north, the South Platte (several tails within the same drainage), the blue, and even the Arkansas in Pueblo (might be too high by that time) are all within a hour or so from I-25 along the eastern slope of the mountains.

However, we are still in the twenties this morning and it snowed yesterday. You might have to bring your parka if this weather keeps up.

Our snow pack has definitely gone up over the last two weeks so we might even see a little run off this year but even the Arkansas may be fishable depending on temps and moisture.

Enjoy the fishing.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Layton - If your from east Texas, I'm surprised you haven't heard or been to Red River, NM. I always run into a lot of people from that area. I might suggest driving up to Cimarron,NM and fishing the Cimarron river. It's about a 10hr drive from my home in N central OK. I stay in Cimarron away from most tourists, and its cheaper. Lots of history in the little town. The Cimarron is a small stream with much brush so bring a short rod. I use a 6'3" 3 wt mostly. It is stocked with Rainbows and Browns. Highway 64 runs right along most of the stream and camping is available. It will be a bit crowded in early May.
After fishing Cimarron, drive on up through Red River and Questa to Valle Vidal area for some real nice scenery and beautiful stream. Search Valle Vidal on U-tube for views. Its not that difficult a drive and camping is available. Good luck, Glen Go Cowboys!
flyfishnbum likes this.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
I may be a bit biased because I live in the area, but I would head directly north and fish the North Platte below Lake Ogallala in Nebraska, huge rainbows, and decent size cutts and browns to be had. Then head west and hit the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef near Casper Wyoming for some streamer chuckin' fun. Head home through Colorado and New Mexico and hit up some some smaller streams. Something along those lines is what I would do for trout. Maybe include Montana in your trip also...

-Chase
Layton: I like Chase's suggestion, both are tailwaters so you won't have an issue with spring runoff. I'm not familiar with the North Platte below Lake Ogallala but Chase has talked about the great fishing there in the past, so that is definitely a place to consider. The North Platte at both the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef offer some really good fishing and have camping available at both locations. If you decide on fishing the Grey Reef and would like to do a float, send me a PM and maybe we can get together as I have a drift boat and love fishing the Grey Reef.

Larry
flyfishnbum likes this.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

Layton-These guys all have great ideas, if it was me I would start in New Mexico and fish my way up through Colorado and finish at the North Platte...Definitely fish the San Juan here in New Mexico, and the Gunnison, Taylor, and Frying Pan, in Colorado. I haven't made it up to the North Platte to fish yet, but I hear its an awesome river. If you do make it to the San Juan let me know and I can show you around the river.

GO POKES
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM

lrharge22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnbum View Post
Layton-These guys all have great ideas, if it was me I would start in New Mexico and fish my way up through Colorado and finish at the North Platte...Definitely fish the San Juan here in New Mexico, and the Gunnison, Taylor, and Frying Pan, in Colorado. I haven't made it up to the North Platte to fish yet, but I hear its an awesome river. If you do make it to the San Juan let me know and I can show you around the river.

GO POKES
I think going to the San Juan in New mexico then into southern Colorado would be the easiest for where i am coming from and for time and money purposes
stenacron and flyfishnbum like this.