The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes a Great Fly-Shop?

Great read. Think I've been in that shop. First trip in and I'm looking 'spiffy,' the second time I went in I'd been fishing all day and looked like I'd been dragged through a swamp. (Hot day and wet wading the Bitterroot River in Montana.) The sales reception was quite different.

Hell of it was is one of the two rods I'd brought along was 'over kill' and I wanted a new Sage 3wt. Shop down the street got the $700 some dollars.

A fav line: "Never judge a book by its cover." First time I saw this in action was at about age 15. Good school friends father owned the local (Seattle) Chris Craft marine dealership. Older fellow comes in in dirty coveralls and says 'I'd like to look at new boats.'

For context, you'd be hard pressed to pay more for a yacht than a Chris Craft.

Spiffy salesman looks him up and down and 'What size hull did you have in mind Sir?' Fellow went for a boat ride and pulled out his cheque book when they got back. Turns out to be one of the richest men in Washington State.

In a formal sense got to meet him about three years later. Had my Sea Scouts up in Princes Louisa Inlet and this huge 75' Chris Craft pulls up/ties up down the float from us. The boys were out water skiing, etc., and I'm doing some engine maintenance and this older gentlemen sticks his head into the pilot house and asked for help on 'his boat.' I looked a wreck with grease from head to toe. (Well, not that bad.)

Turns out he had an electrical issue (you had to see the electronics on this thing, even back in that day and age). Drop down into the battery compartment and it was an instant 'Oh God.' Everyone of his bat connections was highly corroded.

Back to the Sea Scout ship and pull some simple tools. Spent the better part of an hour cleaning up that mess. Had dinner that night with them dressed in my Captain's Blues.The boys were appropriately dressed in their uniforms.

From that point forward we never lacked for any equipment/repairs we needed. "All in, just ask." For you old timers around Seattle his last name was "Earnst" as in Earnst Hardware stores and God only knows what else at this point.

Wife and I had dinner at their home on a couple of occations; the other Guest was Joshua Green and his wife. A name you wouldn't know ... save for his company owns Sage.
theboz likes this.