What Makes a Great Fly-Shop?

saltinthedesert

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some feedback on what sets a great fly-shop apart from the pack. Would love any input from guys/gals that have been to more than 2 a few times.

Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Donald,

Are you planning one?

You need to be ready for two distinct type customer although there may be many, I see 2 a lot.

Type one; fairly new to fly fishing and impressionable. For this person you need the brands and products that are featured in current marketing campaigns. The new & sought after rods & reels etc. These folks will have plenty of questions along the lines of, "so what's better", and you'll have to be ready with the answer.

Type 2: These are people who have everything and are browsing your inventory. For them, hard to find hooks and tying materials will be a find more often than a new rod.

I'm a type 2, I like finding a few spools of silk in a color I don't have or some neat hooks to tie on. My most recent buy were several packs of Senyo Shanks to learn tying articulated flies on. The guys at the shop I go to know I have a bunch of rods & reels but are always ready to show me the newest thing in fly design.

Ard

coug

Reaction score
Ard nailed it. I live about 2h from our closest shops and there are two in the city. The first has the usual tying stuff, but the second has some unusual and hard to get items. I always go to the second shop when I go to the big city, and rarely go into the first one because it is the kind of mass market tying stuff that most shops carry. I can get those materials online and save the 2h drive, but the second shop has some really hard to find items.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
IMO, there are 2 kinds of shop. One has all you need for the local fishing, with very limited inventory for other areas, while the other has the range of inventory to cover any destination. The local shop usually has specific water nearby that they specialize in, and may also have guide services for those local waters. The better shops also have quality people, who can give good advise no matter what the type of fishing folks might be interested in doing. Nothing loses customers like BS. You can get that at the big box stores.

The full range shop may also have guides, but they'll be more of a reference to outside services at the destinations.

IMO, the best shops cover a range of equipment needs for the type anglers that Ard mentioned, and will have a full range of other items, such as tying materials.

The unfortunate thing about fly shops is none will carry everything. Most folks who own shops don't have the finances to do so. Also since fly fishing is such a niche sport, it's difficult for such shops to survive during the off seasons, unless they do things to keep their customers coming back during those off seasons.

I had a mail order/internet business for many years, and would have loved to owned a brick & mortar shop, but knew that it was not viable. I primarily tied flies & sold tying materials, but never made enough money with it to make a living. I also ended up making lures, which increased my customer base somewhat, but in my geographic area, once we got into the colder seasons, fishing stopped & hunting became the sport of interest. I didn't sell anything hunting related & most sales I had during that period was to out of state customers in warmer climates.

I also taught some fly & jig tying classes, particularly in the colder months.

You have to be very diverse, and willing to put in a lot of time to keep a shop operational. Don't think you'll spend a lot of time fishing either, unless you have good quality help to run the shop. ;)

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Hi saltinthedesert,

For us, its all about a large non-homogenized inventory. Good shops carry all the standard brands, but great shops carry the rest.

We can buy just about every brand of rod you can think of here, but you can’t walk in and select a blank, reel seat, stripping guide, hook keeper or cork rings off the shelf….same goes for many of the curious ( fun to own and fill out a collection reels, etc. )….can’t remember the last time I saw a Valentine planetary reel or tying vise other than the usual suspects.
All the shops here, pretty much parrot each others inventory…it works for them and the type 1 anglers Ard refers to, but it doesn’t work for us, so they don’t get the sales from most of our gang.

Welcome aboard, TT

dwtalso

Reaction score
The people running the place set a great shop apart. All the inventory in the world doesn't make up for knowledgeable, friendly personnel. I go to one shop locally all the time because they like to talk about fishing and are nice folks and pretend to like me. When I take my annual vacation in Colorado I visit a shop there every day because those folks are fun and great people to talk to. This is the most important aspect of any shop to me.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
The only thing I really have to add is to not stock only top-end ($) stuff.

There was a small fly shop close to me that closed down because their cheapest rod was $300. It put the pretentious feeling in the gut of those who were new to the sport or thinking about it.

Have a decent selection of quality stuff to fit multiple price points

runningfish

Reaction score
I think I am type 1.

What I want from my fly shop is not for them to sell me stuffs but also able to teach, answer and recommend me on fly fishing related stuffs.

Reds fly shop in OR is a good example.

norcoflyfisher

Reaction score
Above all, I agree w/ dwtalso. The people that are in the shop set it apart. If the people there are the type who want me to buy something or leave, I'll be damn sure never to go in there again. But the guys who BS with me for an hour when I stop by either to buy something very small or just to stop by they will always get my business first. These are also the ones who will do whatever they can to get you what you want if they don't stock it and give you all the advice you need.

shimloom

Reaction score
After working in the tackle biz for 20 years I can tell you, like some have already, is the folks behind the counter. If you are arrogant, clickish or rude, hang it up.

Be able to teach and know your product! It is key to selling product.

Craig

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
GREAT QUESTION!!!

I have been a study of the industry for 3+ years...as far as shops are concerned....they all seem to have much work to do.

No matter what industry your in....its all about service or lack of.

I have 3 shops very close to me. One, a large retail operation of a major manufacturer.

Sooo, i go into the large operation...like a kid on Christmas morning. Wanting a new rod/reel/line and some goodies. The place is EMPTY...Manager walks by 2x dosent say a word...even though i have a $700+ rod in my hand...15 MORE minutes go by....i finally find an older lady folding womens clothes...i ask her if anyone is there to help...she looks at me with a disgusted look and says "I DONT KNOW". I leave with the well over one grand i was going to spend...take out my pocket knife...and remove there sticker from the back window of my truck.

Shop #2....Great folks. They have been around forever. They are about a 45 minute drive away. I was needing new line for a small 1wt i built. I called to place the order and to make sure i would have the line before i left for my trip..Or i would drive over...Noooo problem....2 days later...i get an email...says they are out of stock....WTH.

Shop #3 Also very nice folks...order a small packable rod/back-up and reel for my overnight trips. They said no problem, you will have it in a week.....cool....A week and a half goes by, so i stop by the shop. The gentlemen i talked to had no idea about the order...and the dude i ordered the rod was was guiding. I leave him a message to call me. No calls. Another week goes by...i stop back in on the way to work.....THEY LOST MY # TWICE....REALLY!!!! Ohhhhh but they have the rod but not the reel.....took 35 days.

The industry has a long way to go as far as service. In my 12+ years of fly fishing i have NEVER been WOWED by service. My bank has done it, car dealership and even my insurance company.

Keep in mind, service isnt about inventory...helping with fly selection....etc...etc...That should be a constant. Its about going above and beyond!!

Although i was happy with my selections....I have never felt appreciated for my business.......

Keep in mind....I am low maintenance...i have even helped them with fly selection....etc. Model customer as i am told.....ya right!!!!!

I have always gone out of my way to support my local shops...i admit...i am a gear junkie...I now do my shopping on the internet!!

Wheeeew....sorry bout the rant guys/gals....I will start a happy thread!!:p

diamond rush

Reaction score
For me, it's definitely the people in the shop being accessible and friendly to newbies. When I was first learning, I sometimes felt put off by snobby attitudes in fly shops.

Catching your first trout on a fly rod is a big deal, and the day the fly shop owner stops believing that is the day he should close the shop.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
interseting thread...since I have worked in several shops over the years I had to really think what made some nicer or more appealing than others...being near some good water is key...and having guides and lessons available is also very important.

1. do not allow the snob spirit to enter...anyone that has gone into a high end shop knows what I mean...every customer is important...

2. always make sure there is someone at the cash wrap keeping an eye on new visitors...greet them, and let them know you are available to answer any questions. then let them browse.

3.make their success at whatever level of pocket book they have your #1 priority...you cant go wrong..

4. have three lines...the high end...Simms , Sage, Winston etc...TFO or similar and a blend of the two. also caps and t's are always great for visitors...something to take home and remember the trip....

5. anglers are gadget a holics...make sure you have all the cool little items...dr slick, fish pond etc...you know what I mean.

my personal favorite thing to do was to try and make folks feel at home...asking them to bring in their fly box to see what flies they had was always a good move..no need to but something they dont need...help them figure out what they had that was a good idea...and show them your favorite patterns, and why...and guide them into some flies that could be the trick...

I can tell a lot about an angler by seeing their fly box...

offer to help newcomers set up rigs...show knots or basic set ups...people love to be treated like friends rather than dollar signs.

the people you have working in the shop are the real backbone...one arrogant jerk, no matter how much they know can destroy a shops rep...

good gear sells itself...the best shops I worked in took real pride in the way their goods were displayed...neat...prices visible...

if there is one thing, it has to be a genuine friendly spirit...that shares knowledge joyfully...

I always would tie flies out in the open for inventory, but also to show folks patterns etc...letting them know they could do it too...and always have the materials needed to make whatever you were tying...a clinic one night a week was always a winner...so it did not intefere w/ normal shop business too much.

hope this helps...t

dwtalso

Reaction score
Mentioning "snobbishness" reminded me: I have, over the years, generally separated shops into "angler shops" and "boutiques". This has nothing to do with the staff; I have experienced wonderful people in both types. It has more to do with the clientele. I won't go into details but suffice it say I find the boutique shoppers have a different priority, outlook, and attitude than I do. And, yeah, boutiques have higher price points and that seems to have some influence on this effect.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
A lot has been covered here, so I will add one more thing.

This may not be politically correct (those who know me well, know that I don't follow that BS anyways). It may not be legal since ATF might get involved (gosh darn govt. agencies). But a great fly shop always has beer stashed away in a refrigerator. Usually that is reserved for after hours activities.

Dennis

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I have had some good and bad experiences with fly shops...

I am not gonna mention names regarding the bad ones, but a few that have been great to me and I do business with regularly are "in random order"

1) Caster's Fly Shop "He always has a great inventory of fly tying materials that don't have to be special ordered."

2) Great Lakes Fly Company "LOVE their Dahlberg Divers"

3) Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters "There website is clear what they do and don't have in stock, I like that."

4) Bob Clouser's Fly Shop "I buy all my Clouser Minnows there, good price and good quality, can't tie them much cheaper and I use a lot of them so just easier to buy them."

5) Tight Lines Fly Shop in Wisconsin (Smallmouth Fly Shop) "They have all kinds of stuff in stock that you don't see anywhere else and I love smallies so..."

To me, it's all about service and communication, some shops suck at that...

One thing I cannot stand is a few times I bought NEW fly rods or reels from authorized dealers and they didn't have them in stock as advertised, only to be told a couple days later it would be a few weeks before they could get me their product as they are on backorder...

I don't have a "local" fly shop so mail order is all I have, these shops listed above do that well...

I wish I did have a local fly shop to hang out in, shoot the bull, tie flies and whatnot at, I would be broke all the time, but it sure would be nice to have it handy...

streamhound

Reaction score
Good staff who sell what they fish and fish what they sell.
Little River Outfitters has knowledgeable staff, no pretense, and a willingness to chat where I am look at one or two flies or new boots. They are 5 hours and one time zone away but manage to convey the local shop through their website. Big box stores along the interstate from here to LRO but they are my local.