The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By dpreller
  • 1 Post By dpreller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default Hendricksons !

hit a little tailwater yesterday for the first solid hatch this season. ive been getting a few fish on nymphs and midges but yesterday the first good emergence of hendricksons(for me atleast) made their apperance. not a huge amount of bugs but enough to get some fish feeding on top.started ouy with a parachute dry in the light coloration phase and a darker snowshoe emerger.caught the first three on the emerger, the noticed a couple refusal rises on the parachute.so i caught a natural and realized they were actually the browner darker version and a little smaller. made a quick change to a# 16 biot bodied parachute and that flipped the switch.4 of 5 mor wild browns over the next 20 mins til the bugs petered out and the fish stopped rising.pretty average fishing by alot of guys standards(9-13" browns) but they had the 4 wt thumping and made me forget about a long day at work. AHHH this is what ive been waiting 5 months for!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hendricksons !

Congrats on the great fishing, hitting the hatches and figuring out what phase the fish are feeding on is truly a blast!

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Not asking you to reveal your honey hole, but geographically, approximately where are you? Joust wondering when they might be arriving in my neck of the woods.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

no problem i was fishing the gunpowder river in md.i dont mind saying cause its hardly a secret and gets plenty of pressure which is why the fish can have you pulling your hair out sometimes.
only adipose likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
no problem i was fishing the gunpowder river in md.i dont mind saying cause its hardly a secret and gets plenty of pressure which is why the fish can have you pulling your hair out sometimes.
Okay thanks. I guess we've got to wait a little longer up here in New England.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post

Okay thanks. I guess we've got to wait a little longer up here in New England.
You might want to poke around the Catskill/Upper Delaware River fishing reports which would likely be more tuned in to your area. If not hatching already, I would think the Hendricksons have to be ready to explode in your neck of the woods.

When I lived in PA they were "on" already in the Pocono's during the traditional opening day of trout season (3rd Saturday in April). You might be a week behind that at the most (on average of course).

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Where I was on Wednesday there were only small caddis coming off, but with this warm weekend that we're having the Hendricksons should be out in force this afternoon or at least in the next day or two.
Don't even look for them before 1:30pm or so.
This local river has a strong Hendrickson hatch and I'll be there more than a couple of times this week

Click the image to open in full size.