The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By laurie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold
Default Using Dabbler Patterns

Well where do we start? one of the forum members asked how do you fish Dabblers?
Dabblers were first created a few years ago by a good friend of mine Donald McClaren from Dromore county Down about 6 miles down the road from me.
Donald is a well known lough angler and ties up some great patterns, it is reputed that the pattern was accidently tied when tying up a mallard and claret but this has to be confirmed.The body material was to have come from a piece of carpet nailed to the back of the shed door, but aside from that the pattern revolutionised lough fishing and the dabbler was accounted for winning a fair few competitions all round Ireland.
My tactics when fishing the dabbler is a set up of three patterns, usually a bumble on the top dropper and then 2 dabblers, on on the middle dropper and one on the point.
claret bumble on the top dropper
Click the image to open in full size.

bloody dabbler on the middle dropper

and a claret dabbler on the point

These are cast either in front of the boat or at an angle of 45o and retrieved fairly quickly back to within 8 to 10 feet of the boat where the rod is lifted to enable the bumble to skate across the surface then held their for around 4 to 5 seconds before re casting.
This method is because a fish may folow you in and then take the fly as we say on the bob.
There is a multitude of dabbler patterns and here are a few more we tried last year

Emerald dabbler

leggy olive dabbler

leggy gold dabbler

peachy dabbler

raymond dabbler

Hope this is of use to you
regards
Lawrence
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Dabbler Patterns

Thanks for posting Laurie
Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM

oz angler will become famous soon enoughoz angler will become famous soon enough

I have a soft spot for the Claret Dabbler as I caught my first stream rainbow on one, swung down and across. It wasn't the method described earlier but the fish didn't complain.
Cheers,
Steve.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

It's my favourite fly. Used them extensively on Lochs at home. Such a versatile fly. I've found, short sharp strips, followed by a pause often work well.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Have never heard of this, kinda intrigued. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Have never tied nor fished them but enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Very nice work!

Thanks for sharing.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

You have inspired me to tie some up over the weekend. I know they will not look anywhere near as pretty as yours. Best.