The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Whirling disease map for rocky mtn region

Whirling Disease Interactive Map

This map shows where exactly whirling disease is to those in the rocky mtn region, as you can tell SW montana and pretty much all of colorado have been hit the hardest.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Whirling disease map for rocky mtn region

Hi MTskibum,

Thanks for that link. This should be of interest to anyone who fishes or may fish these Western states.

Frank
Old 01-30-2008, 09:15 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

It amazes me how prominent this disease has become in Western Montana. The rule of thumb used to be to wash your gear before entering another body of water, but because of how persistent and resilient the Myxobolus spore are, all it takes is a raptor to prey on a fish in one watershed and defecate in another. I am afraid this may be a disease we will have to "wait out". We are lucky that the feisty browns are not as susceptible.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for that link. It's loading slowly for me...any disease in the Estes Park/Rocky Mtn Nat. park area?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Rainbow "Hybrid" Resistant to Whirling Disease.

Maybe good news - apparently the Colorado Division of Wildlife (CO DOW) have developed a "hybrid" strain of rainbow utilizing the Hofer strain of rainbow trout raised in Germany, which were purportedly resistant to Whirling Disease. News - Department of Natural Resources The CO DOW crossed the Hofer strain with their own rainbow breeding stock and began releasing fingerlings into selected Colorado rivers in 2004. Results to date have indicated that the new strain of rainbows have averaged a Whirling Disease spore count of only 3 thousand (low enough not to affect the fish), compared to a spore count of 4 million in the regular rainbow breed stocked by the DOW. As an added bonus, the new Hofer hybrids grow faster than traditional rainbows!

Must be Christmas in March!!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

With Whirling Disease so prevalent in certain watersheds, what do you do to your gear to help prevent it's spread to your home waters?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
With Whirling Disease so prevalent in certain watersheds, what do you do to your gear to help prevent it's spread to your home waters?
FISHN50, from what I've heard, certain versions of Formula 409 have been recommended by several States (including Colorado & California). Apparently it is only the Formula 409 formulation that contains disinfectants and antibacterials that is effective. Here's a link to the various Formula 409 versions that work: Commercial Solutions Formula 409 Cleanser Degreaser Disinfectant .

These formulations are apparently effective against other trout parasites as well, such as New Zealand Mud Snails.

Since I use Korkers Konvertibles, I only need enough to soak the interchangeable soles (although I do sponge down the rest of the boot as a precaution). Due to the expense of the solution, I save what I've used and reuse it a couple of times until it seems too dirty.

Hope this helps . . .
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks FLY2FISH. Thats a good site with good info.. We should get that info out so I'll start a survey.