The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By polarbearco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default Sink Tip? 15'? 24'? Sink Line?

I know this has been asked in one way or another many times in the past on every forum out there, but I don't have a clear answer yet so bear with me please.

I just ordered two more spools for a Lamson Konic 5/6wt reel to match the two I already had, so I could have as many as four setups if I wanted to spend the money on the line. Right now, I have a full float line and an empty reel. My family does a lot of alpine lake fishing from shore. I don't have a float tube, but I'll end up with one or a pontoon by the end of this year. So, I'd like to get into fishing with at least a partially submerged line. I also want to get more serious about streamers this fall.

I'm totally confused about what I should get and whether I should end up with multiple setups. Our alpine lakes usually have rocky bottoms. The one we usually go to is more than 400 ft deep in the middle of it with tagged fish and large pike deep. If I get a full sink line, will I ruin it on the rocks? Is there a point at which it stops sinking? For deep lakes, do I want a slow sink? Now, for streamer fishing in Colorado rivers, I want a faster sink (4 ips) right? I also want to fish from the shore submerged, so I probably want a 15" sinktip for that, right? Can my streamer setup be used for 6' deep shore fishing?

I hope all this is clear. There's several things I want to do with my next line purchase. I just don't know if I'm actually looking at 2-3 setups, or just one more.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sink Tip? 15'? 24'? Sink Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearco View Post
If I get a full sink line, will I ruin it on the rocks?
It depends on the depth that you are at, the sink rate that you have, and how much line you have out.

Quote:
Is there a point at which it stops sinking?
Yes. A very fast line can make for a total hang down. Some slower lines can be pushed around by wave action.

Quote:
For deep lakes, do I want a slow sink?
Only if you intend to fish in the effective zone of that line. I only fish a slow sink line in depths less than 10 feet.

Quote:
Now, for streamer fishing in Colorado rivers, I want a faster sink (4 ips) right?
It depends on the depth and the speed of the current. You might want an intermediate tip. You may need a type 6 tip.

Quote:
I also want to fish from the shore submerged, so I probably want a 15" sinktip for that, right?
Depth and the speed of the current will dictate your sink rate.

Quote:
Can my streamer setup be used for 6' deep shore fishing?
Yes and no. Yes if the fish are at the depth that the sink tip can attain. No if the current does not allow the sink tip and fly to get to depth.

Quote:
I hope all this is clear. There's several things I want to do with my next line purchase. I just don't know if I'm actually looking at 2-3 setups, or just one more.
Line strategy is an important aspect of fishing. The reality is that you have to get your fly to the fishy zone. If the fly is not there, don't expect to catch fish.

If you are unsure of your streamer line strategy, you could always go with a multi-tip line like Rio's VersiTip II. This line has interchangeable 15 foot tips that have different sink rates.

If you want to fish deep lakes effective once you get your pontoon boat, lean how to fish with long leaders (up to 30 footish), slip indicators, and chironomids. That's Joni's expertise. I'd ask her about it.

I would check with a local fly shop on how they deal with their line strategies. It's hard to beat the local knowledge.

Dennis
mcnerney, fredaevans and alexs like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

I had the same questions as I fish from a rental Jon boat and from a kayak in deep stillwater lakes.

I read, and asked questions and decided to buy the Rio Intouch Deep 5 to go along with my Rio full intermediate 2ips and Rio Outbound floating. This way, I could cover most depth. I also bought some Airflo Polyleaders in various sinking rates and lengths.

I've seen someone effectively using a full sinking line with along straight leader with multiple flies system and catching fish after fish. Something that I should find out.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you want to fish deep lakes effective once you get your pontoon boat...
Just got home with it. Found a brand new Classic Acessories Ponderay pontoon with a brand new 12v pump for $180 on Craigslist.

Not exactly what I wanted, but I couldn't turn it down for the price. My wife would definitely be upset if I came home with a $600 pontoon. Worst case scenario, I sell it used in 6 months and lose $50 on the investment.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You can never have enough spare spools.

Rick
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Man this is kind of a personal preference question. When I fish a sinking line it's just that, not a sink tip the whole line sinks. I also like that clear scientific anglers line. Also if you want to cast 70 or 80+ feet get a slow sink and drop your weight down a notch otherwise your rod will be overloaded. For instance my latest sink tip i am throwing on my loomis pro 4 x 10' 7 wt. I am throwing a 6 wt sinking line that sinks at 2-4 inches per second. That works great swinging flies in slow current or stripping in no current. Look at my video in the rainbow trout pics section that fish was caught on this exact setup. Go clear and go lighter than you think you need that's my advice.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It is about personal preferences, however in my own experience my preferences lean toward ease of operation. Perhaps what I replied on this thread will be useful; Need suggestions for streamer line

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Yeah read that hardyreels post, there is some good info there as well, your going to have to experiment. Ease of casting is critical.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If it were not easy I wouldn't have been doing it for this many years

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;