The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default fish#1:my first CUTBOW? fish#2: what type of CUTTHROAT is this?

with so many experts on here im sure someone will help me out, since im still a noob and not 100% sure of all the species of Trout.
Question#1
fished Clear Creek in Golden CO today. (really good fishing, tons of Browns)
fish in question #1
looks like a rainbow, but had orange cuts under its throat
so is fish #1 a CUTBOW? because that would be first for me
Click the image to open in full size.

fight before i got fish above i landed a nice rainbow. looks almost identical to fish above, but it DID NOT have orange throat cuts

Question#2
fished Gore Creek in Vail CO few weeks ago
i think i got a cutthroat ,but im not sure what kind and it barely had any spots, it looked almost completely silver.
anyone has any idea what type of cutthroat it is?

reason im asking is im keeping a check list of all the types of trout i catch.
thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: fish#1:my first CUTBOW? fish#2: what type of CUTTHROAT is this?

Cuttbow and a (should have said I don't know. Ha).

Last edited by nickj; 05-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

ok thanks
so today FISH#1 was a CUTBOW great my first one

FISH#2 stocked brown? really? it doesn't resemble anything brown,
here's 2nd pic of it where i opened its mouth to show the cuts (i was very easy on the fish, so no harm was done)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a stocker brown to me, but...? It's for sure not a wild one. Any one else?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Not certain about the fish in question #1. Looks a lot like a rainbow with VERY few characteristics of a cutthroat, and the slashes on his throat are not defined very well or of a very deep color. Probably a cuttbow, maybe not a 50/50 cuttbow, but perhaps he has some genetics from a cutthroat in his recent past. If not that than just a rainbow.

Fish in question #2 is not a brown. Definitely a very dull rainbow, with, again, perhaps some level of cutthroat in his genes if he has the slashes you posted.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Also, since Gore Creek is a trib of the Eagle River, which is a trib of the Colorado River, any cutthroat trout or hybrids you catch in there are likely to be of the Colorado River Cutthroat variety, assuming stocking of other types of cutthroat has not taken place.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
Not certain about the fish in question #1. Looks a lot like a rainbow with VERY few characteristics of a cutthroat, and the slashes on his throat are not defined very well or of a very deep color. Probably a cuttbow, maybe not a 50/50 cuttbow, but perhaps he has some genetics from a cutthroat in his recent past. If not that than just a rainbow.

Fish in question #2 is not a brown. Definitely a very dull rainbow, with, again, perhaps some level of cutthroat in his genes if he has the slashes you posted.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Also, since Gore Creek is a trib of the Eagle River, which is a trib of the Colorado River, any cutthroat trout or hybrids you catch in there are likely to be of the Colorado River Cutthroat variety, assuming stocking of other types of cutthroat has not taken place.
OP said Clear Creek, Cuttbows have been stocked in there.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
sorry guys if wasnt very clear
FISH#1 was today at Clear Creek in Golden CO
FISH#2 was at GORE Greek in Vail CO few weeks ago

either way, both had cuts so even if not 50/50 cut/rainbow, i guess technically still a CUTBOW? just checking another fish of my list
if Joseph Tomelleri's prints weren't so expensive i would get a print every time i caught a new species sort of like mounting animal heads on the wall w/out having to harm the fish....
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
Question#2
fished Gore Creek in Vail CO few weeks ago
i think i got a cutthroat ,but im not sure what kind and it barely had any spots, it looked almost completely silver.
anyone has any idea what type of cutthroat it is?

reason im asking is im keeping a check list of all the types of trout i catch.
thanks
OP said he caught the first fish from Clear Creek, but the second one was from Gore Creek. Either fish could be 100% rainbow or part rainbow part cutthroat. The trouble in fish Id comes in with muddled genetics from prior stockings, plus the fact that cut-bows can reproduce, leading to, perhaps, a fish that is 1/4 cutthroat and 3/4 rainbow.

I guess the answer to his question is both definitely are at least part rainbow, and yet both could also have some degree of cutthroat in their genetics. Knowing for certain if either had cutthroat in them and to what degree is impossible without genetic testing.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM

mista_bob is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: fish#1:my first CUTBOW? fish#2: what type of CUTTHROAT is this?

Both are cuttbows.

Cuttbows have spots spread more evenly over their body with varying degrees of "rainbowness" and darkness to the red of their cut. But more importantly, Cuttbows have a white leading edge to their fins, like the two cuttbows you posted.

Purebred cutthroats have more spots toward their tail end and don't have white on their fins. Living here in Idaho, we have a huge cutthroat population and hence, I see a lot of real cutthroats (Yellowstone and Snake River subtypes predominantly) and cuttbows from spawning with the planted rainbows.