The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: If you could be air-dropped to fish anywhere in America....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Anywhere....where one of my forum friends lives
You're welcome in W Montana anytime JP!

America...OK, we've seen some interesting ideas of what that means.

Anywhere in N. America - and since we're talking air dropped, put me anywhere in Alaska that doesn't have a road going to it (which is most of it). Next, somewhere on the Caribbean for the salt fishing I've never done, so anywhere really! Then Labrador or B.C. Canada (sans road again).

Lower 48 America - sounds funny because it's so close yet so far, Middle Fork Flathead River, Montana because you actually either have to be aired in or take a train of mules...my allergies would prefer a chopper . Otherwise the most remote lake in the Winds that could handle a landing!

Nice post man! I need to go buy some lottery tickets.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You're welcome in W Montana anytime JP!
Very kind Deanthanks a lot for the invitation....who doesn't dream to fish in Montana?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishcatcher View Post
A high mountain lake full of giant brookies that has never been fished before.
I'm in Australia & know That's a Hard One to Ask for.

Larry Bristol Bay is Beaut so is Ard's neck of The Woods South Central also a great Place to Fish.
Brian.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'll just drive the 30 min to New River and fish for them big ol' football small mouth.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Well, if I'm taking advantage of an "air drop" I guess I choose somewhere back into the Wind River Range (WY) to fish for giant golden's.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=jimtheflyguy;553255
@venceinak: that's the best post IMO. Nothing like wanting more quality time with your father who probably taught you to fish. I know that's the case for me. Be sure to tell him you "dream." It would make his day!

[/QUOTE]

He indeed is the one who taught me to fish, & he taught me that it's about more than big fish or lots of fish.
It's about having fun & time spent with people you enjoy. He was always patient & more interested in my next fish than his. Wish I was as good with my son. Hard shoes to fill.
And I have shared that dream with him. We will see...
Last year I took him out with my 9yr old son & I up here last year chasing dollies with the fly rods & beads. It was the 1st time he'd used a fly rod in probably close to 30 yrs & the 1st time he had fished for trout or dollies in well over 20 yrs. He landed a few & you could tell he enjoyed it far more than the salmon or halibut fishing he usually does up here.
He slipped & took a spill in some pretty fast water when I was around a corner & couldn't see him. Got out ok but ended up soaked. Was standing at the truck in his tighty-whiteys drying out & eating a sandwich when a trooper came by & did a license check. None of us mentioned it Little black bear wandered out not 30 yds from us & snagged a salmon, Got to see some nice brown bear along the road in the Kenai. A year of great memories for 3 generations to share.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I was hoping posting here would get me a call to be picked up at some point ...I guess that isnt happening...

actually I would love to accompany any of you to the locations you posted...I am a great rod carrier.../ camp set up guy/ fire wood cutter/ fly tyer/and I can cook too!...of course I have loads of great stories too...most are true...PM me if you are interested...ted
jimtheflyguy likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I'll just drive the 30 min to New River and fish for them big ol' football small mouth.
I would like to have your unused air drop ticket please. Although I have always found good fishing close to home the call of adventure would be too strong for me to abstain.

I would like to go to the head waters of The Allagash Wilderness and then spend at least 4 weeks floating the river beginning September first through the end of the month. 4 weeks may be enough to get to the St. John and to take it all the way to The Bay Of Fundy. I may need 6 so I better leave August 25 and plan to reach Fundy by October

Months could be changed to meet varying seasons in both countries.......... I just like fall up there, I believe it to be one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. Why not somewhere here? Remember, I still have the trip fly_guy turned down
jimtheflyguy likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree with stenacron's choice above of the Wind River range... I've done a couple backpacking trips on the Reservation land and the air drop sure would make getting into the lakes a ton easier!

If all of North America is included, I think the choice would have to be somewhere in Labrador or Quebec for giant brookies, or the far north for Arctic Char.

Oh yeah... there's Alaska for big, aggressive rainbows...

ryan
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Mine would be a private stream where I can't get permission to fish, but the grumpy old landowner would kick me out if I parachuted in. Now maybe when he's on vacation...
Just kidding!
jimtheflyguy likes this.