The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: If you could be air-dropped to fish anywhere in America....

Lower 48 I'm with Dean on this one middle fork of the flathead river or really any where in the Bob Marshall wilderness would be nice and remote with lots of fish.

I always hear stories of pack trips and long floats makes me jealous.

The one area we can target bull trout in the state too correct?
jimtheflyguy likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Great thread and great stories! Got me thinking of fishing with Dad in Wyoming as a kid.

I would have to ask if the ticket could be for two and drop us off on the top of Woodchuck Pass outside of Sheridan Wyoming in the Big Horn mountains. The start of the creek is only 1-2 feet across and blossoms into a huge roaring river 5-10 feet at its widest.

We used to go up early in the morning catch twenty to thirty brookies by lunch, eat the catch then go back for dinner. Great place no people and tons of fish.
jimtheflyguy likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Lower 48 I'm with Dean on this one middle fork of the flathead river or really any where in the Bob Marshall wilderness would be nice and remote with lots of fish.

I always hear stories of pack trips and long floats makes me jealous.

The one area we can target bull trout in the state too correct?
Yep, the South Fork for sure but I'm not certain on the Middle. I have a friend that's gone into the S. Fork a couple times on horseback and with mules and floated out. Sight fishing to big bull trout with streamers. He said you get tired of catching 14-16" cutthroats on top after a day or two!
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 PM

wyodogdoc is on a distinguished road

Brand new to the forums and pretty darned new to fly fishing (caught my very first 3 browns Sunday!!!). That being said, I have some great trips already planned for the summer in some of my favorite places...no air drop necessary! 5 minutes to the Laramie River but will also fish it in the Rawah Wilderness, CO, fishing the North Platte in Saratoga, WY, fishing the Madison in NW WY and Mt, fishing Whitefish, MT and fishing the Kenai.....how could I wish for anything more???? There'll most often be a dog (or two or three or four or five) in tow!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

Hey everybody, I'm new here but this is a cool thread so iam going to hop right. I would go to the watauga I know that seems odd but I really want to go trout fish there in that crazy environment that I'm not used too. Whitefish is a cool place lots of good rivers around there, I have already been there and many many other places in the west including alaska so I want to go east. Go to the kenai first though that's the best trout fishing in the world.