The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By cpiercem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Colors of Spring

I took a chance and visited a little stream section that was almost completely de-watered in the drought last year. There was water only in a few intermittent pools and beaver ponds in September, and I didn't have the heart to go back and see how much worse it got.

Here is a picture of an area that at least had running water. Much of the creek was completely dry.

Click the image to open in full size.

Well, you can’t imagine my delight when I hooked into this little guy!

Either many of the fish survived, or they have recruited from another area. The stream was a little off color, but it had water and fish!

I found one of the places they must have holed up in. This is the tallest beaver dam I have ever seen, and it was full to the top.

I tried to measure it with my rod. The best I could come up with is at least 7 and ½ feet from the top of the water in the stream to the top of the water in the pond. Amazing!!

Time to celebrate the rebirth of a stream. Many of the fish were all dressed in their party colors.

Nothing says spring to me like the colors on the cutts!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Colors of Spring

Nice to see a rebounding fishery, and some nice cutts! Low flows could be a major issue in the SW this season, but we are getting some rain! Thanks for the report! milt.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

the beaver have deep knowledge...nice to hear the report..

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that little stream has rebounded considering the drought from last year.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM

jimtheflyguy is on a distinguished road

Great fish. Glad you were able to get out and find that the stream is alive and well! Nice spawning cutts. This is a great time of year to target them....before runoff turns the waters too murky.

-Jim