The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lake Trout On fly

I've had similar experience to one of the previous posters, catching lakers in shallow water after ice out, specifically in mountain lakes on the Wind River Resservation. Of course, "after ice out" up there was late July. The areas around inlet and outlet streams demes to be the most productive. Wooly buggers, coachman-type streamers, etc worked well.... and we even caught a few on dry flies, which was quite a surprise. They actually got kind of annoying one year - a 13" rainbow fights a lot better than the 2-3# lakers we were catching, but the lakers were so active that they were biting before the rainbows could.

As Dan mentioned, I've heard of people catching them around here spring and fall in Lake Superior or tributaries when targeting other species, but I've never caught one.

ryan
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

It snowed today, we had about 2 inches on the ground at one point. I'm not quiet as confident that the ice will be out considering the cool weather. I will take a look tomorrow and if its out maybe go out then too. I just don't want to tow my boat out there until I know for sure. On Saturday I will head out to my backup location if I have too. I was thinking today that a nice sized stonefly nymph fished on a cliff edge with a slow sinking line would probably be an effective way to catch a lake trout in the right spot. I do have one particular spot in mind. Anyone ever catch a laker on a nymph?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 AM

Still frozen. It is really close and I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope it gets windy soon that will probably blow it out of there. Otherwise it will be another week or so. Plan b Saturday though.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM

wyflyfish is on a distinguished road

I have caught some lakers in the spring from shore, but have done best in the fall over structure. Huge white circus peanuts and the like seemed to work best.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 PM

Hey everyone, well lets just say may didnt go according to plan.To make a long story short, i got a piece if metal embedded in my eye while installing a new tow package. Let me just say if you don't know what a corneal burr is consider yourself lucky. That and the ensuing infection ruined my laker season. No big deal though i will make it happen one day. keep an eye out for this thread again in the future.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Will be watching this. I only things I know about lakers are they are slimy, char and live in deep cold water.

No clue it it will be helpful, but here is a 'fly' I have used where small, well stocked rivers enter big deep 'lakes'.

Tandem fly on a pair of mustad 37004's with heavy wire leader material.
Sort of a hybridization of a Deceiver and a Winnipesaukee Smelt with very sparse shoulders of pink and purple bucktail with a strand or two of pearl flash under a single peacock herl and a topping of single teal flanks flat across the top. [think 6" - 8" rainbow stocker]. Be sure to weight both hooks equally so it will stay horizontal in the water.