The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By parsond
  • 2 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road
Default Whitefish

So I have come full circle on Whities... when I was a kid I loved them since they took my flies somtimes when trout were harder to come by. Then as a young man I grew to hate them as a "trash" fish. for the last 10 years or so now I have to admitt I like whitefish. They fight a bit, I think they are pretty, I feel less guilty keeping one to throw on the smoker from time to time, and many of my clients (who don't live where they are predominant) get a kick out of them too. Lastly, when a whitie is hooked on a particular pattern I have often found that the trout will take that fly as well, helping me feel like I am on the right track in pattern choice for the day.

However, I don't see myself ever booking a trip in some far off land to go after trophy whitefish. Carp on the great lakes....yup I would do it. But whities - no. I guess I still have some growing to do.

Anyone else love whities?

Dan
shortyb likes this.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whitefish

Those big superior whitefish are not bad. I have only caught them on whitefish lake in northwest Montana while i was lake trout fishing. They fought well, they were pushing 5 lbs and they tasted excellent.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind em, would rather catch trout, but a tug is a tug.

Speaking of Whitefish, this past weekend Mrs fysh and I experienced something strange(atleast to us)...Whitefish attacking streamers on the lower Henry's Fork. We caught several in about a 1/2 mile stretch that were all over Yellow Zoo Cougar's.

New to us, how about you?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

A buddy of mine caught one on a streamer this winter, i have caught them on flesh flies so it makes sense that they will eat a live fish if given the opportunity.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

I get them on buggers, leeches and clousers pretty often. The ones in my river run about 14 to 17 inches - perhaps that is larger than average? Anyway they are big enough to grab a streamer sometimes.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Dont Hate on Whitey

Dont Hate on Whitey

Nothing wrong with a good whitefish.

P.s. the lake whities are different than Rocky mountain whitefish. http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AFCHA01040.aspx
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Whitefish

Only my third year living out west, so I still get a kick out of them... And they've already been the highlight of a few trips that would have been (otherwise) miserable.
parsond and shortyb like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 AM

saltinthedesert will become famous soon enough

Whiteys are in healthy numbers here on the Truckee. And I agree with your sentiment about them being helpful in selecting flies.

Here in western NV, they tend to school up for most of the year, so it's common to catch several in one slot, so the challenge becomes getting past the school to find trout nearby without spooking them. That said, last spring I pulled a 20" whitefish (the biggest i have caught) out of a slot, and then had a nice brown on the next cast in the same run.

The bigger ones pull like tanks. Fun if you ask me.

http://catchsnaprelease.blogspot.com/
Cataloging my time on the emotional roller-coaster and back-stabbing harlot known as the Truckee River.