The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Will I kill 'em?

One question.

There is a favorite small tailwater that I know holds plenty of brook trout. It's water comes straight out of an earthen dam behind which sits a lake that's 100 feet deep.

So my guess is in the warmer months that cold water in the bottom of the lake pours out into this tailwater....I haven't fished it in the summer and I'll go up there this summer with a thermometer.

But my thinking is that it will probably be cold enough, right?

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Without firsthand knowledge of where you're fishing Shotgun I cannot say for certain. However, I will say that sort of location usually is a solid option to try during really hot conditions.

I remember several years ago when I was on my annual spring fishing trip, the weather was ridiculously warm and had been for a few days. Probably in the mid 80's at the peak of the day and only down to the high 60's/70's at night. That weather was more like early summer weather here in PA. Some of our streams got too hot to fish so what did we do? Found a tail water, right below a dam that had a very, very deep lake! The water ran very cold and we found a few willing fish.

The only way for sure to know is try it and take some readings. Even if you get there and it's too warm, try it again another time. This way you'll get a good cross reference of data to draw your conclusions from.

I've got a gem of a little stream within 30 minutes that holds wild fish. It is best fished in the spring, I avoid it during the fall so the fish can do their thing. I have found fishable water temperatures even during the summer months, the stream sits under a heavy canopy of trees. Had I not had the thermometer with me, I'd have never known. I will say that I've taken my fly rod and reel for a walk on more than one occasion to try and fish it, but that's all part of it.
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

To pick up on what Jaybo wrote, yes, the constant (or more constant) year round temps from water deep in the reservoir, combine with all the food from it can make tailwaters artificially great fisheries. A quick check of the thermometer in July can tell you for sure on the temps but if the water comes from deep enough in the reservoir it will be minimally impacted by changing surface temps keeping it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Also good fly shops and online fishing reports often include this kind of information in their reports.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:30 AM

rchouser12 is on a distinguished road

West Virginia has no trout season. If you can get a line in the water, go for it! I experienced some hardcore guide icing this year! That was new. My line froze and you could hold it out straight! I really felt like a true trout bum when I had an inch and a half of snow on the brim of my hat! Not sure how that anecdote applies. But, there you go.