The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Do you Woolly Bugger?

As the Bows come out of spawn and head back into their more mundane and routine lives as the waters dirty, I find them very willing and able and somewhat antsy to hit the moving fly or lure. I love this aggression, and I love this aggression with rainbows.

Fishing the Bugger you will see a ton of fish. I love the visual effects of the Bugger, I always try and see my Bugger as the productivity will jump tremendously if you use your eyes instead of your feel. As I have noticed browns are great bugger fodder but a lot of the times the browns seem to be playing around with the fly...They pop at it, swipe at it...maybe even grab the tail...A lot of the time the strike seems to be out of aggression not hunger.

Rainbows on the other hand seem to hit it for nothing other than pure dining pleasure. They "eat" in other words. Spring bows and most bows I get on the bugger seem like they want it when they decide they will actually hit it. "let him eat it".

This spring has been no different. I love a water that is on the rise, slightly stained and before the runoff starts. Its a Big Bow Boone! This is a great time of the year as we wait for high waters to engulf our streams and rivers.

Then on to still waters for a month or so...I hope to have the same success on the still waters as I have had on the moving waters this spring.

I love watching nature come out of her winter hiding.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Do you Woolly Bugger?

Great thread title!

I fish my Sparkle Ghost Bugger...'bows love it. There is a Step By Step here

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

parsond is on a distinguished road

I have a bumper sticker on my boat trailer...

"You can never have too many 'Buggers"

cochise and shotgunfly like this.

-Paul Schullery
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan, you'll like this

When Don Bastain spoke at our club over the winter he mentioned numerous times fishing for Maine brook trout and land locked salmon with both a gray ghost bugger and a gray and white bugger. Not that buggers are hard to figure out, but I couldn't picture a gray ghost so I wrote him about it.
Here's what he said:
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed my presentations & tying. Thanks for your message. I
decided to send this direct to you, and I'll get the Gray Ghost Bugger
posted on the blog at a later date.

Gray Ghost Bugger

Tail: Gray
Hackle: Gray
Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel
Body: Danville Orange Chenille #7
Weight: 15 - 18 wraps .020 or .025 lead wire'
Hook: #4, #6, #8, 4x long

Also effective with a 3/32" silver bead head, (cut lead wire amount in half.

Gray & White Bugger

All same except white chenille body

Both patterns fish best on a sink tip. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:10 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I knew of Don's Gray Ghost Bugger, and when i made mine i changed the body material to Ice Dub and the tail to Arctic Fox.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Do you Woolly Bugger?

From #14 to #6 on 3906B's, 9671's and 9672's, light olive over yellow to black over purple or herl and everything in between, all with short tails (1/2 to 3/4 body length tails for trout and 1 to 1 1/2 body length tails for smallies).
cochise likes this.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather get a spinning rod and cast a little bladed spinner than strip a streamer.

So, to answer the titular question, No.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I don't use them as much as I probably should, as I often opt for other types of flies, but yes, I do use them! They're a style that should be in every fly fishers fly boxes IMO.

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

I thought this was going to be a Youtube video to a new type of dance. Kind of like "'The Dougie". I'm rather disappointed actually.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post Cochise!

Your story reminds me of some of my last trips that I made to a creek in North Central PA. I was fishing the backside of a large pool that was dammed up by a beaver and man did those rainbow voraciously attack my bugger! Thanks for jogging my memory.

The bugger is one of those magical flies that can pass as many different food sources. It is also kind of hard to fish wrong. Olive & black is my personal favorite but there are so many other good established variants out there, many of which are in bigjim's post for example. Nice flies jim!

It's also one of those flies that when you want to tweak it, the possibilities are nearly endless.