The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best crappie fly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Sorry for my grammar,Rip. I speak fluent Southernezz. English is my second language.
Wait 'till I get started on stripper/striper
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

Have a few colors handy. Some light, dark, and neutral.

Where the critters get picky is with depth and speed. Vary the speed. I've seen them go from chasing bass lures to just barely ticking a 1/32 oz stationary jig. When they are sluggish they will eat something in front of them, but won't move a foot to get it. In general, they also feed "up". Get a fly under them and they won't see it.

This time of year, look for rip-rap or shallow brush near deeper water. They can get really shallow. If no takers, start backing out and fishing deeper. They tend to bunch up and suspend. Find the depth and you're in business.

I use floating lines and short mono leaders for the shallow ones down to.about five feet. After that it's sink tips.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've done well with chartreuse buggers and chart/white clousers.
sz 8 or 10.

ARFE
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

on bright sunny days, use darker colors, blk/chart is a good one, on cloudy/overcast days, go lighter in color. Sometimes red/chart or blue/chart is the color of the day. Crappie feed on what is above them, if its below 'em, forget it. Anything that will mimic a minnow (minner here in E TN) will get some interest. The spawn is close to being over here, so fish will be/are moving back out to deeper water, and scattered. If you have a boat with depth finder, look for structure or ledges, humps, bumps, blowdowns, etc., and you could find 'em. Sometimes they hug the bottom, other times they are suspended at 7' in 10 or 15 FOW.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Crappies ought to love the cat's whisker fly. Scroll down a bit to find it. If nothing else, Dave Cammis is a delight to listen to as he ties.

https://sites.google.com/site/christ...cammiss-videos

A marabou jig will do. Very similar.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Flyfisher for men, there are several flies on that site that would be good for Crappies.

Another that came to mind is a Goldie.
Goldie

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Flyfisher for men, there are several flies on that site that would be good for Crappies.

Another that came to mind is a Goldie.
Goldie
I'll have to give that one a look. I haven't had any time to tie this semester. It will be good to get to a bench.