The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default best crappie fly ?

What are you guys catching crappie on when fly fishing ? Never targeted crappy that much with a fly rod and if you have fav flies or set up's I'd sure be interested in your methods.

Thanks
Michael
Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best crappie fly ?

Beadheads and small Clousers work great!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Seems like the will hit anything a bluegill will in my experience. Right before dark they school up in the local city pond and go nuts. I love throwing little poppers to them.

Chase
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best I have ever found worked so good it made the people fishing around me mad. It was fun.

All it is is a small wet fly hook, any you feel works. I did mostly 12's. If you need to get a little more depth, you can start off with a little lead wire. Then using red thread, tie in a tail using long fibered marabou where the ends are straight and webless, like fine hair. Use just the tips and go 1.5 times the hook shank. Tie in a piece of chenile and tie it off so there is a distinct red bandbetween the tail and the body after you wrap it forward. I make the band a fat 1/16th inch. (3/32") I tie off the chenille but not make a head at this point. I change to a matching thread, white or black thread and then tie down the red thread and make my head.

These can be fished a few feet below a palsa pinch on float or some other indicator. If you use one a very effective way to fish it is strip the fly at you for a couple of fett. This will pull the fly up in the column. Pause it long enough for the fly to hang directly below the indicator and repeat. They can be fished below a floating fly as well in states that allow that. You can fish them without a float at all. That's the way I generally do it.

The best color combination I ever found was white tail, chartreuese body. But orange tail purple body does well. White tail, pink body. Purple body, pink tail. They have all produced fish like it was Crappie crack.

It's a very easy fly to tie, works better than any I have found, and it is really hard to fish it wrong.

One of these days I am going to have to scan and post the photo of the Crappie I got on a 6" long Reynold's Pike Fly. Not a fish story. If you are surprised, Imagine how I felt when I saw what I had on.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I do fairly well with crystal buggers in size 6 or 8. I'll weight the buggers, with wire, cones, beads or barbell eyes depending on how deep I need them to sink

Another fly I like is a simple feather wing streamer/ wet fly. Hook size can be any you like, but I usually go with 4, 6 or 8.
It's nothing more than a hackle fiber tail, often I use red, body of silver or gold flat tinsel, ribbed if you like, but I don't usually, a wing of a pair or 2 of white hackle tips, and a sparse collar of any soft or webby white hackle you have. I tie these on streamer or nymph hooks of various lengths. On 2or 3X long streamer hooks it looks more like a streamer, but on shorter hooks, it looks more like a wet fly. Either way, doesn't seem to matter. I don't add any additional weight to these, as the weight of the hook is all you need. I cast them along edges & just let them sink slowly, counting them down & stripping them back with short strips of the line. Great for any relatively shallow water, say 4 ft or less, but can certainly be used in deeper water.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: best crappie fly ?

Crappy ? All my flies are crappy !

No seriously, you know those little cheapass cork size 10 poppers that come in the little round fly box ? Those are crappy ! They're also good for crappie.
Buy a box next time you see some.... just don't let anybody see you do it
theboz, fly_guy12955 and rubberguy like this.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Crappy ? All my flies are crappy !

No seriously, you know those little cheapass cork size 10 poppers that come in the little round fly box ? Those are crappy ! They're also good for crappie.
Buy a box next time you see some.... just don't let anybody see you do it
The box that you twist the cover to get to those fine flys! Your right Rip except they really work good on Crappies when the cork starts breaking up and the thread starts coming loose on those quality feathers! Once they are broken up and sink slightly they are deadly! Haha!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The box that you twist the cover to get to those fine flys! Your right Rip except they really work good on Crappies when the cork starts breaking up and the thread starts coming loose on those quality feathers! Once they are broken up and sink slightly they are deadly! Haha!
You don't have to wait long for the thread to come loose and the palmered hackle to unravel and trail like a shuck. I think that they're made to do that from the get-go.
theboz likes this.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Anything chartreuse or green will work well. Buggers, clousers, that sort of thing. They aren't too picky and most streamer/wet flies should work pretty well. I have great luck on crappie the other day using a briminator and MM minnow.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for my grammar,Rip. I speak fluent Southernezz. English is my second language.
jor fly likes this.