The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By random user
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By tromak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Split shot for steelhead nymphing

Hi !

An other question for the steelheaders:

What kind of split shot are you using for nymphing ? I think BB, SSG and smallers ones are good, but what type ?

There is no doubt that fish spook from shiny new split shot. Are green, tin or dull dust split shot are good ? What is your favorite shot brand ?

I have in mind: Redwing Tackle, Dinsmores and Raven

Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Split shot for steelhead nymphing

Get a rattle can of self etching primer. It's pretty much flat oilve and sticks well to any type of metal.

Lay the shot out on a sheet of newspaper. Get them a light blast out of the can. let them sit for a few hours, roll them over and blast the other side lightly. repeat until shot is covered. You end up with basically olive drab split shot with a coating that isn't inhibitive nor is it coming off easily since it etched itself into the metal. (Out side is better for application because the self etching primer really smells.)

No clue how steelhead would react to it, but trout don't seem to mind it.
fredaevans and ben664 like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:03 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Steelhead won't mind a bit, just keep the 'shot' at least 15-18 inches away from the fly. You want the current to move the fly around; too close and you kill that.

Fred
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Never been steelheading, but for picky tailwater trout in Colorado I use small BB sized split shot with Mojo Mud Tungsten Putty and it works great.

Randy
Old 05-27-2013, 11:38 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have to try your idea Random user !

Also I have to try the tip with the shots in water an vinegar (2 days) and have a better color split shot (dull)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:57 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using Dinsmore shot for trout and steelhead for years, never felt the need to try anything else.
ben664 likes this.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM

tromak is on a distinguished road

15-18" for sure and for a better drift use more small ones and space them about a half inch apart.kinda like this . . . .
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Split shot for steelhead nymphing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromak View Post
15-18" for sure and for a better drift use more small ones and space them about a half inch apart.kinda like this . . . .
Good call on spacing them out; forgotten to add that bit.
Fred
Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I use Dinsmores and other no name non toxic shot, in past times I would use rubber tubing and stick lead or slinkies and a swivel or twistons, at present I’ll use a rubber band pined by a corkie or plastic, glass or tungsten bead with a tooth pick to keep the weight away from the offering. I believe by using the rubber band it gives me a better touch with the bottom and breaks away easily if snagged.

Rick